Questions 'bout Alaska?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Questions 'bout Alaska?

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 pm

Hey, I've noticed an increased intrest in this forum.

If any Y'all gots a question 'bout AK, post it here; One of us will do our best to answer it! :thumbsup:

So post up!! :salude:

(Yes, we live in Igloos...... So Snaf, you dont need to ask that one :hammering: :toofunny: )

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:29 pm

Stouff,

Have you ever been to the town where that kooky sitcom Northern Exposure was filmed?

:laughing:

But seriously, where you live whats the avg. temp in the wintertime?

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:10 am

Where I live the "Averge" temp is about 10-15 degrees (F).

In the interior it has an average of about 0 degrees (F). And atleast 7 days out of the year it plummets below -45 degrees (F) :eek:

In that kind of cold, if you park yer car... the rubber freezes and dosnt stay round (has the "flat" side still). :smile:

But again... that is in the interior, it is not all like that at.

Anymore?
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 pm

I have a few questions.

1 How long do you get to duck hunt up there?

2 Is there alot of public land to hunt ON?

3 How hard is it to find a GOOD steady income?

The wife and I have been wanting to move there for some time now. We just haven't aquired enough information to make that leap yet.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:03 pm

alright opeanwaterhuner here are some answers to your questions

1. sept. 1st to dec. 16

2. lots miles and miles of it of course to get to it you need a boat or plane lots of it are good hunting If you like sea ducks you have miles of coast line to hunt for sea ducks (scoters, goldeyes scaup and more) that is southeast though things are diffrent up north around AlaskaRedneck

3. jobs depend on who you are if you are young and strong you can work in construction or as a deck hand if you want something more perment you might try working for the state it all depends on your education though. make sure you have a job before you get here though also look at the alaska job center web site and look for jobs there good luck
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:06 pm

1 How long do you get to duck hunt up there?

Sep. 1st-->Mid Dec. (but its only good thru mid Oct.)

2 Is there alot of public land to hunt ON?

YES! Almoast every hunting area is public :smile:

3 How hard is it to find a GOOD steady income?

Depends, what kind of education and expertice do you have? What career feild are you in?

Alaska has to be one of the better places to find work. There is all kinds of work from seasonal, construction, office, fishing, tourism, engineering, maintinence, you name it! :thumbsup:

However, even though are jobs typically pay higher than average, the cost of living is much higher than it will be in TN. Homes are more expensive, gas is probably bout the same, groceries are definitely more expensive.

So it all kind of evens out. BUT..... you git to live in the coolest state in the union! (that right there just tips the scale :salude: )

Lemme know if there is anything else you wanna know, im more than happy to help ya out! :thumbsup:

MOVE UP HERE! :getdown:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gunman » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:56 pm

just for comparison, what would a single level four bedroom one bath with two car garage run... with just a standard lot, say one acre?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:02 am

g-man,

Ill ask my sister. She and her husband are in the market for a new house and have probabl spent more time lookin at that stuff than I have lookin at this here blue skreen :yes:

Ill git back to that one :thumbsup:
-Stouff

PS- there are many law enforcement jobs too :salude:

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gunman » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:18 am

AlaskaRedneK wrote: and have probably spent more time lookin at that stuff than I have lookin at this here blue skreen :yes:
-Stouff:

hmmm some how I doubt that! :tounge:
PS- there are many law enforcement jobs too :salude:

now are you telling the truth or are you just trying to get people to move up there so you have someone else to go hunting with! just kiddn, .........................hmmm canada huh? i'll have to keep that idea in the back of my head......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:14 pm

g-man... of course I want ya to move up here! :mrgreen:

BUT, i wasnt kidding. Look up the Anchorage Police Department, the Alaska State Troopers, UAA campus Security, Department of Corrections... etc :thumbsup:

BTW- I'll see my "sis" tonight, Ill ask her before I fergit :yes:

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:37 pm

I already work for the government. I am a grade 3 waste water treatment plant operator. I have looked at the treatment plants around the eagle river and wasilla(sp) area. I think I heard where you all have grouse also. Is this ruff grouse if it's true? Is it true there is a season open of SOMETHING in AK everyday of the year? Someone told me that once. Do you have grass that needs mowing in the summer time. :thumbsdown: Will I have to have a guide the first year I move up there? I will think up more stuff.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Some more things came to mind. I was in AK when I was 14..so 12 years ago. I can't remember where all we went but I remember Seward. How far is that from Ancorage-wasilla area? It looked like it would have some good sea duck hunting with all the high cliffs. The wife and I do know that we want to live in that general region. Many more questions to come.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:49 pm

openwaterhunter wrote:I already work for the government. I am a grade 3 waste water treatment plant operator. I have looked at the treatment plants around the eagle river and wasilla(sp) area.

Yes, we do have that facility (infact I live like 15 minutes away from it :thumbsup:

I think I heard where you all have grouse also. Is this ruff grouse if it's true? Is it true there is a season open of SOMETHING in AK everyday of the year? Someone told me that once.

YES! We do have Spruce grouse and ruffed grouse. And I believe they are open for like 9 months out of the year. But there is ALWAYS something open (for example- Bear).

Do you have grass that needs mowing in the summer time. :thumbsdown :

Yes, we do have that good grass (like a golf coarse :thumbsup: ). I believe most folks have "Kentucky Blue Grass".

Will I have to have a guide the first year I move up there? I will think up more stuff.

Im not exactly sure. I believe you ONLY NEED a guide if you are hunting special game like dall sheep, brown bear and moose. I dont THINK you need one for waterfowl (I'll check into it for ya :salude: )

BUT-- once you switch yer residency over, then you are good to go! :getdown:

Keep askin, I like to do this for y'all :smile:
-Stouff

BTW- If you gimme yer mailing address, I'd be happy to ship you a hunting regulations so you can look over it yerself :thumbsup: [/quote]

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:46 pm

gunman wrote:just for comparison, what would a single level four bedroom one bath with two car garage run... with just a standard lot, say one acre?

Ok G-Man...

I just talked to my sis. She said in Wasilla (the next town north of Anchorage-- approximatly 40 miles away) you could git exactly what yer lookin for w/ the whoppin 1 acre of land for between 160-180K.

Now in Anchorage you wouldnt even be able to find a 1 acre lot (too damn crowded), but a much much smaller lot w/ that house on it would easily run 200K.

Besides, you dont want to live in Anch. anyways, too crowded, not enough view, just not as nice as the Wassilla area :thumbsup:

Just lemme know if you got any more ?'s :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:31 am

How about schools up there?

Explain the daylight/darkness deal to me. I remember when I was up there it was daylight 24/7 with only a little twilight around 3 am.

When does it get to dark to hunt and for how long?
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby akbrett » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:33 pm

Stouff is close on the prices. The average price for a 3-4bdroom home in S. Anchorage is running 280K. We bought ours 2 years ago for 190K. You can get a comparable house out in the Valley for about 180-220K. As far as the schools go, I'm biased 'cause my wife is a teacher and I happen to think that the majority of the schools both in Anc and the Valley are pretty good. The teachers out in the valley make more money (5-8k/yr more), and that has drawn some of the Anchorage teachers out that way in the last couple of years.

As for the daylight - from June 21 to Dec 21 we lose about 4-6 min a day and then gain it back in the spring.

Guides for non-res are only required for Dall Sheep, Brown Bear, and Mountain Goats. There was talk about adding Moose to the list but they haven't done that as of yet. If you want to see the regs. the are online (you need Adobe Reader) at:
www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=regulations.main
That gives you the main menu from there you can view the Big game, small game, and waterfowl regs. Under the waterfowl section there is a link for the legal shooting timetables.

Openwater - Seward is about 2.5 hour drive from Anc. add an hour from the valley. Also there is some great grouse hunting up around Fairbanks (6-8hrs North) We used to start out on the tops of the domes in the morning and shoot P-tarms and then move down the hill and shoot Sharptails and Ruffs and then dropp into the vallyes and shoot Spruce Grouse.

Don't want to steal your thunder Stouff, just thought I might be able to add a little.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:51 pm

akbrett wrote:
Don't want to steal your thunder Stouff, just thought I might be able to add a little.

Its all good w/ me :thumbsup: :salude: :salude:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby hucklburry » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:56 pm

I took my wife on our honeymoon, spent the whole time on the Kenai, she especially liked Homer, not so much for Seward, but we did not spend as much time there either. We went halibut fishing out of Homer and King fishing on the Kenai River. I am a lucky guy. She loved it. We had always talked about moving to Colorado, now she wants to go to Alaska.

So I just need a good job lead! I have been looking some.

My plan is to be debt free and have about $6k in the bank. Go up for a month, looking for a job. If we find one, come back, pack and go. If not, keep trying. The $6k would cover the trip and the necessary bills while I am not working.

I have been working in industrial maintenance for 8 years out of college. From turning wrenches to supervisor and sales. If anyone knows of any good companies to contact let me know. The wife wants to stay in or close to Anchorage. She does need her "big city" to some extent, likes the theatre and such....

--Jim
hucklburry
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:28 am

Hickleburry,

I think that is suuuuper awesome yer tryin to move up here :thumbsup:

Lemme know if there is something I can do to help ya guys out. And Ill keep my ears peeled bout hirings.

Lemme know how things work out, and when and if you come up :thumbsup:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:23 pm

How many blocks does it take to build an igloo? Winter is coming up and I was thinking about building a second home. Seasonal of course.
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 pm

Snaph wrote:How many blocks does it take to build an igloo? Winter is coming up and I was thinking about building a second home. Seasonal of course.

Well the ones I build for 'Cedes and I to sleep in takes about, lets see.... Pie R squared... 3.14... lxwxh..... ok, 314 8x12 inch blockes w/ a 15 degree slope for the first wall.. then 123 8x10 inch blockes for the second w/ a 7 degree pich...

so that is 437 + the key stone for the roof, so we are at 438! :salude:

:toofunny:

I honestly have no clue what the hell I just said... some random memories from Geometry :laughing:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:44 am

interesting post stouff! i have a good buddy that is a pediatric anesthesiologist in Anchorage. he owns a pine farm down here in SC. he comes down about 10 times a year or so to do work on it. from the stuff he tells me i would love to move up there also. my wife is thinking about moving somewhere west in the rockies, i don't know if i could convince her to go to AK though.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:05 pm

shrpshtr wrote:interesting post stouff! i have a good buddy that is a pediatric anesthesiologist in Anchorage. he owns a pine farm down here in SC. he comes down about 10 times a year or so to do work on it. from the stuff he tells me i would love to move up there also. my wife is thinking about moving somewhere west in the rockies, i don't know if i could convince her to go to AK though.

Yes you could :thumbsup:

Hey man... We'd love to have ya up here! Next time you guys go on vacation, see if she wants to come up here. June is the absolute PEAK of the beauty.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:00 pm

hucklberry I think you and I are going about this in the exact same way even down to where the wife wants to live and why. We have to get more equity in the house and be dept free before we are going to make the move. Maybe we can see ya up there.
openwaterhunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:14 pm

openwater.....

Just shoot me a PM when you come up :salude: :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting