Grizzly weapon's

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Grizzly weapon's

Postby duckdog » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:36 pm

How many of you guy's in Alaska hunt grizzly, or brown bear, and if you do what do you use for a gun? Are there alot of them around or are they pertty secluded? Seen one on the net about a year ago that a fisherman, or hiker shot that was supposed to stand 14 feet tall, don't know if it's true or not, but the picture's made it look just enormous!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:05 am

Yeah, I remember somthing like that.......

Well Brown Bear are one of those kinds of animals that you just by chance stumble opon. There are alot of them, they are just very good about staying out of site. (Except when they want to......)

But yeah, alot of folks hunt them. You will hear arguements for all types of cartiges and styles; everything from a 270 win-> 50 cal. Everyone will tell you what it does and does not take to kill one.

I personally feel that anything under a 30-06 is too light, and is dangerous to attemp using. But a 300, 338, or a 375 are probably more realistic.

Folks will even use handguns and bows...... :eek:

Like I said earlier, it just depends on who you ask :salude:

Here is a pic I found on the internet..... This one is just an "average" bear (they git ALOT bigger than this!!:smile: )

Here is one w/ a bow:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:27 am

Whata they taste like Stouffter.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:06 am

Shooting a bear is one thing, but stopping a charging a big bear is another! :eek: Many fishing guides use 12 ga 3" pump with slugs and a 6 shot magazine. 1.25 oz slugs going 1400fps do have some shock value to stop a bear :yes: I heard that some guides also have shot report shells with them too. Basically they fire it and the projectile goes 75 yds and explodes like fire cracker, this is used as a deterant to keep bears at a safe distance away in open areas.

BTW, Brown (Kodiak) bears are a subspecies of Grizzly bears. They are bigger than Grizzlys because of the high protein value of all the salmon that they eat.

Like ducks that eat fish and taste fishy, I wonder if the Browns taste fishy?

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:18 am

kiwismakebetterlovers wrote:Whata they taste like Stouffter.

Ive never tried them (had the luxury to), but most folks dont eat them, so I dont think it is very good.

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby had » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:15 am

i went fly fishing with a guide on my vac 2 weeks ago in montana. he guides brown bear hunts in alaska. he said he uses a 375 and recomends it. he said that on one hunt the hunter shot a 10 footer and the guide immediately shot it twice after. all three were good shots. he said when they got closer the bear got up and ran off. the guide shot it again in the back and knocked it down. with binocs they could see it still moveing and the hunter shot it a final time.
he also told me of a old time hunter he took out. they were in camp asleep. a brown bear grabbed the oldtimmer by the foot and pulled him out of his tent. on the way out he grabbed his rifle and shot the bear in the head. the bear ran off and died later. they found it with a plane and the old timmer went and skinned it and has the hide at home!!!!
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:36 am

QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:36 am

QuackerWhacker,

Yeah, that looks about right. Im willin to bet my paycheck that the Grizz in that record was taken in Kodiak Island (Alaska). That is where most the deer hunting is done.

Thanks fer sharin :thumbsup:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Burst bubble

Postby bristol gunner » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:16 pm

Sorry fella's, that last picture of the man eating bear, is real, but the story that goes with it is completely bogus.

The hunter was an airman from Anchorage, and the bear didn't weigh anything close to 1600#'s stand 12' etc.....

The Chugach National Forest website used to have the real story posted, and explained that the bear was taken on a regular old hunt, on Melrose Island, (Prince William Sound,) and all in all, it was a great bear, but not a killer, and not the number one.

Same old story, just another urban legend.

Did anyone outside hear about the couple killed by a grizzly up in the Brooks Range? One bear drug a couple out of their tent killed them both, and sat down for dinner. Welcome to the wild. The even had an unfired but loaded gun in the tent with them. Bummer. That's a true story, look it up in the archives of the Anchorage Daily News from this summer. Now that I think of it, you can look up the bogus bear story in the same papers archives as well.
"Why is everything with you up hill both ways?"
bristol gunner
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 pm

cant beat the B.A.R.! :toofunny:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:24 pm

Its real hit or miss on the taste of brown bears some taste great others taste pretty bad what I would recomend for a gun would be a .338 win. Mag that should have enough take down power for a bear (I would hope so ) also I do belive that in Alaska you need a guide to hunt brownies(non-Res) but I'm not sure but it would be a good idea. good luck
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:56 pm

AK Ducks wrote: also I do belive that in Alaska you need a guide to hunt brownies(non-Res) but I'm not sure but it would be a good idea. good luck

Yes, in AK an non resident would need a guide to hunt a bear. :thumbsup:

And any of the large rifles (7mm mag and up) should be sufficient to knock down a Grizz. I like my .300 Weatherby, but that is just me. :smile:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:09 pm

:withstupid:

As with anything it's all about shot placement. Best advice I've ever heard was go with the biggest gun you can COMFORTABLY shoot. If you're flinching you aren't gonna hit what you are aiming at.

When it comes to bears keep shooting 'til they quit moving. Make the first shot count and it's real easy for the taxidermist to sew up all the little holes in the bears hide. The holes in your hide should you screw things up may not be so easy to sew up.

The bear to the left was a 10 foot Kodiak bear that measured 27 7/16". I was shooting backup for my old man. He shot it with a 375, I backed up with a 300 Weatherby. I drew a permit for this coming spring and as of now I plan on taking my 300 and having my old man back up with his 375.

An interesting book out there is "One Man One Land One Rifle" It's written by a doctor who shoots every one of N. America's big game animals with the same 30-06.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:18 pm

akbrett,

Nice rifle, you have good taste :yes: Is it the weatherby brand, or a different brand chambered for their cartrige? (I have a Rem. 700 in the 300 W. Mag, my dad has one of the nice German Made 300 Weatherbys).

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:43 am

I was told by a hunting buddy of mine that his guide used a 12 guage with 3" 00 Buck shot.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:30 pm

hm_palmer wrote:I was told by a hunting buddy of mine that his guide used a 12 guage with 3" 00 Buck shot.

thats probally b/c the guide didn't have to shoot the bear first. he probally only carried it for protection (bad things happen when you wound a grizzly) and a shotgun is better protection then a rifle b/c you can shot quickly and at close range (under 5 yards) buck shot can kill a bear.

when I worked on a fish counting tower up north this summer (lots of bears) the state only gave us a 12 ga. with 2 3/4' 6 shot STEEL for bear protection I guess they figured I was safe (I didn't) but I have heard of guys killing charging bears with bird shot (I wouldn't recomend it)
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:52 pm

hm_palmer wrote:I was told by a hunting buddy of mine that his guide used a 12 guage with 3" 00 Buck shot.

I dont believe that is true. I know a few guides down in kodiak that use the new 375 Rem. Ultra Mag, and the 460 Weatherby for a backup. :eek: :yes:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:34 am

Most of the hunting guides that I know carry either a .338 or a .375 when guiding clients. Fishing fuides on the other hand tend to tote either the big magnum handguns or a 12 gauage with 000. In all honesty when I'm out playing around by myself in bear country I pack a .44 because of the weight and size. I really don't have any faith in it, but it's better than nothing. If I'm taking the family out then I usually take a 12 guage pump with a shortened barrel and a pistol grip. depending on the vegatation, the first one is usually a slug followed by 000. If the alders are thick where we are then it's just straight 000. Hunting and personal protection are two VERY different things.

Stouff-- When I came to Alaska I had one of the German made Wbys, I soon found that the environment (wet and nasty) turned blued steel to rust pockets real quick no matter how often I tried to wipe it down. When Wby started producing the stainless model my old man got it for me. He waited a couple of years and bought one of their fluted barrel models, and just recently he picked up another one that has been customized into a 6.5lb shoulder thumper. All of them are Mark V's, I just haven't found an action that I like any better. When my barrel starts to go I'll probably get another and then take the action in and have it rebored in something a little larger, but I'll always have a 300 Wby.
akbrett
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:28 pm

akbrett- Nice Rifle!

I really like the 33 degree bolt ( Browning and Wheatherby are the only ones that I know of that have it), is sooooo nice. And I agree, it is smooth as a you know what.

Is that what you took that bear in yer avatar with? What size/style bullet did ya use?

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby akbrett » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:39 pm

Same rifle. I'm a Barnes man through and through. For that bear I was shooting 180gr. Barnes XBT in front of 84.5gr of IMR 7828. I've been trying the new triple shocks and will probably be shooting those in 180 when I go back to Kodiak in the spring. I've been playing around with RL-22 as a powder and am getting about 3150fps with 79gr. and no signs of excessive pressure. So far though, I am only able to get my groups down to around an inch and a half. Good, but not as good as the rifle used to shoot (3/4").
akbrett
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting