Bummed, no boat

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Bummed, no boat

Postby otterbfishin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Well, two sessions of oral surgery to remove bad teeth absorbed my build money for my new duck boat. I'm bummed! I still have a little 10' aluminum skiff that I will camo out, but it won't be the good hide I would have had with my new design. I've got a good 4 horse motor, but it won't plane out the skiff. A friend gave me a 10 horse merc that a bear ate most of one side of the cowling. He said he didn't know if it ran or not. No prop and the lower unit looks like it was leaking oil. I'll try to get it going if possible. If not I'm back to hiking the shorelines. Still, its duck hunting, and I love it! Nothing like watching my Lab, Tula, swimming back with a big mallard in her mouth! My wife still doesn’t understand why I will get up in the middle of the night and carry that huge pack of decoys through all kinds of woods, mud, and tundra at my age to sit shivering at first light beside a nearly frozen pond looking over the silhouetted dekes in anticipation of the quick wing beats of waterfowl. She doesn’t have to understand. I just love it! Anybody else getting antsy?
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Tuesday morning it smelled like fall here in the big city. Heavy dew on everything and just a little chill in the morning air. Wednesday morning it does not smell nearly as good and appears to be swinging back towards August weather.

I have been so busy working on various school remodeling projects that I have not had the time at home to do anything to the boat (s), or the grass panels. Not much fishing either. The school work should be over with by August 10 and I can get back to more serious fun "work".

Still thinking about swan decoys - either carving some foamers or making some silos on a Y-board. Silos will be easier to make and much easier to carry around in the boat.

Also thinking about a few golden eye decoys since they are around so much they could add to the confidence factor. Again silos and maybe some foamers over the winter.

I have the supplies to make a second bilge pump motion feeding decoy. Just need the battery and a some other electrical stuff. Thats what I will pick up this saturday while the karate kid is at the dojo.

One of the things I have been researching a little is decoy use and placement. The Refuge has a pretty heavy amount of information on that condenced into one thread. There is almost too much information in this thread. The guy who started it, Woodduck31, has some pretty awesome insight to share, And he carves some really cool decoys out of dock foam.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=630663

One of the things that I learned from this thread and some others is that wigeon decoy better to feeding birds/decoys than to resting decoys. Until recently duck butts were the only feeding pose offered by the big decoy manufacturers. Sport Plast has their dabbling pair and GHG has the no heads these days. But any other species and they are all resters or head up poses. Other ducks need to eat, too.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Awsome Refuge thread Ray! I'm looking to get a few widgeon dekes and possibly a couple bluebills to add to my mix. I need to look into the "string" thing.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:25 pm

absolutely, tuesday morning as we were outside having our morning briefing before we went about our work, it's exactly what i said as i smelled the air and the light morning breeze....."DANG... SMELLS LIKE DUCK SEASON"

i'm not making this up. Guys standing around heard me as i stuck my snout up in the air to take a few sniffs. However today, wed. it was yep, back to summer smell and feel. yesturday, i just look up in the sky and only a duck hunter could taste it. Nice to be in the home building business so maybe i'll get my new ATV in camo yet. but i better hurry :hammer:
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby OneLunG » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Morning briefing?
OneLunG
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:42 am

Probably a morning saftey briefing or briefing about what the plans are for that day.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting