Duck Boat Paint

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Duck Boat Paint

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:55 am

Anybody know where to purchase duck boat paint in Alaska?

Turns out Cabelas can't send it because it has to go ground and that's through Canada who won't allow it to pass through their country.

I got the spray cans from Sportsman's Warehouse, but need the brush on in the gallon size.

I'm looking for Marsh Brown.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 am

You are wanting to paint that aluminium skiff, so you need to use something other than house paint on the metal.

Sportsmans used to have a few quarts of Parkers near the decoy section but that ususally is all gone by this time of year. They don't stock much of it.

I have a quart of rustoleum primer for aluminium that allows for the use of latex paint. I have not used it since the piece of metal I was going to coat turned out to be pre primed once I pulled the plastic off. A quart probably wont do your boat.

Check the local guys for that and if not then hit a home center in Wa Silly and pick it up along with some exterior flat latex of a wide selection of camo colors. The possibilities for picking just the right color is pretty cool. Just don't tell anyone your boat is painted with "majestic colonial umber" or some such silly name.

If you have some time go to duckboats.net and search for boat paint threads. Lou has posted a good tutorial on how to use his paint for repainting skiffs. His paint is really really good, but it takes a couple of weeks to cure up due to the humidity and low temps up here.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks Ray,
Yea it's the aluminum skiff. I checked Sportsman's and bought a 4 can package of camo spray paint, but they didn't have any quarts or gallons. Think what I'll do is spray a dot of the marsh brown on a piece of paper and take it down to be scanned as was suggested on the duckboats.net forum. That should work. I probably only need one gallon to cover the 10' hull, then I can use the rattle cans to add patterns.

Is the exterior flat latex the way to go, or should it be oil based paint?

The motor is ready to go except for a good slathering of the same color as the boat.
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Well, after discussing the situation with the paint expert at Spenard Builders he said that the best paint I could get for the aluminum skiff (short of going buying expensive marine paint) was "Rustoleum", and he suggested using the rattle cans in camo colors. He said it adheres better than latex or polyester and is more water resistant. Said to put on two coats of primer and two of color. He said that once I get the hang of it I can spray two cans at the same time to get a blend of the colors. So I bought an armful of cans and will start the aluminum cleaning process this week. First will go on the Rustoleum metal primer, then the color. Think I'll make up some cardboard stensils for the grass and brush effect. Worst case scenario is I have to paint it again next year :sad: We'll see how it comes out and holds up.
otterbfishin
hunter

blind

Postby AK Ray » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:01 pm

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7979&highlight=blind

Jesse, some where you mentioned what to do about a blind for the skiff. The above link is one of the best "how to" posts on the net for building a scissor type blind. This one is a little more complicated than others have built. However, it is not just slapped together either.
AK Ray
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting