new season

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

new season

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:58 am

alright guys the 2005 duck and goose season starts tomarrow and I just wanted to know what you all are doing for it, I'm camping out on the mendenhall wetlands then hunting on the mendenhall river with four of my close freinds. I'll tell everyone how I did just as sooon as I get back.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:02 pm

YO!!!!

OMG, there is another Alaskan hunter on the forum :eek:

Yaaaaay! (now Im not all alone :mrgreen: ) :salude:

---------------------
Ak, Im estatic about tomarrow too! DuffMaN and I are headin out in about 3 hours to "Rabbit Slough". We are gunna camp out there and hunt the mornings, then head back for supplies about noon, then return again that evening. We are gunna do this untill labor day.

Let us know how you do!!!

Man, it sure it nice to see ya 'round here again! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Revilla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:38 pm

Ok, I am waiting patiently to find out what happened on the Mendenhall Flats today. I'm heading over to POW this weekend to see if I can scratch a couple down. Hope your opener was good.
Revilla
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:30 pm

Revilla!!

Welcome to DHC!! :salude:

I know you were talkin to AKducks, but mine was great!

Ill post pics tomarow..... maybe :smile:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Revilla » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:43 pm

Sounds great I'd love to see them.
Revilla
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:40 am

Check out the thread in the Honey Hole about opening morning... Ill load them into here tomarrow :salude:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:53 pm

Opening day was a lot of fun for me this year, we shot 15 ducks ( no geese ) and we were able to set up a video camera up so we could watch the hunt later which was a lot of fun. The only real bad thing was we lost two cripples down the river (the first two ducks we shot) we quickly moved a few decoys and changed our shooting lanes so ducks would fall farther away from the river. I had to leave a three to go to class though as didn’t get to hunt the evening. Sorry I can’t post any pics we only brought the video camera.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:27 pm

AK, that sounds awesome!

We only did 1/3 as well (by the numbers), But we are gunna try and limit out tomarrow morning. This might be better cuz it is supposed to be cloudy instead of this sunny weather.

Cheers! :salude:
-Stouff

PS- can you bring yer camera another hunt, atleast to git an after pic?

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Free » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:43 pm

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here on the forum. I just retired from the Army and relocated back here. I spent my last 6 years in Louisiana where I discovered the passion of duck hunting. What a great way to spend time with my boys, and to see my Lab in action.
I was wondering how you all are doing this season, where you like to hunt and can you point me in the right direction to get started in Anc./Valley area. I have a 13' Sportspal canoe, camo netting, a mess of decoys, and a dog that is dying to get his feet wet. Any pointers or advise would be great.
Thanks
Free
Newb

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Free, I am super estatic to see ya here on the site!

And just so ya know, I live not to far from ya (Peters Creek- near the Chugiak Post Office), not in Talkeetna.

Anyways, I'd be happy to give ya a few pointers, my parnter and I are just a hair under 17, but we have a passion for hunting and would be happy to help in any way.

Mabey you would be willing to meet us out on a hunt in Rabbit Slew?

Ill PM ya w/ more info :salude:

-Stouff

PS- If you have MSN Messenger, add me @ alaskarednek@hotmail.com

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Free » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:56 pm

Got you on my list. I plan on heading out to the slew actually this weekend with one of my kids. Do you normally put in all the way to the end of the dirt road at the creek? I think thats where I'm going to start. Keep an eye out for a tan F350, that will be me. Let me know when you plan on going out.
Free
Free
Newb

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:06 am

Free, I normally drop my boat off at the end of that little dirt/mud trail (the boat launch).

Unfortunately I will not be able to meet you there this weekend.... I'll be moose huntin w/ my dad on the weekends till the end of sept. In Oct. I plan to head back for the good huntin. (The flock from up north should be gittn down here 'bout that time). This weekend the shooting was VERY VERY SLOW. But dont git discouraged, some will come by. I think we scared the hell out of them on opening day. It was like a freaking battle w/ all the gunshots that day.

Also, where are you gunna hunt from in the slew, I have only hunted at "duck lake". It is the first lake w/ a cabin on it (visible from the slew). Do you have a motor for your canoe? or do you paddle like me.

As I said before, I would LOVE to meet y'all out there some time. It would be really cool :cool:

Lemme know :salude:
-Stouff

PS- I forgot to ask, how old is yer "kid"?

Also, If you ever see this truk there, it is me :smile:
(It has that licence plate on it)

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Free » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:03 am

I'm not sure where I'm going to hunt. Never been back there. Just going off what others have told me and I've heard. I too paddle my canoe. Would love to have a small outboard for it though.
Good luck Moose hunting, and enjoy all the time with your Dad you can.

P.S. I have 2 boys, they are 12 and 15. My oldest will be 16 in November.
Free
Newb

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:11 pm

hey free glad to have you on this site I would say that you should ask fish &Game they will proabally give you good info or there would be some one around who just likes hunting and would give you pointers.(they like to do that thing)
also sometimes the best spots are found by someone who dosen't know the area.
good luck :thumbsup:
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Free wrote:I'm not sure where I'm going to hunt. Never been back there. Just going off what others have told me and I've heard. I too paddle my canoe. Would love to have a small outboard for it though.
Good luck Moose hunting, and enjoy all the time with your Dad you can.

P.S. I have 2 boys, they are 12 and 15. My oldest will be 16 in November.

Ok, a little heads up if yer paddlin'.

Camp the night out there. It is like a 1.5-2 hour paddle (for us anyways) w/ all the low tides, and stuff. It may even be be wise to go like tomarrow night and drop off yer tent and some gear out there. That way you dont have to haul it all in yer boat. :thumbsup:

Which son are ya takin w/ ya?If we ever met up in the field, I'd love to meet 'em :smile:

And thanks, Ill be sure to cherish my time spent outdoors w/ my dad.

In the marshes,
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Free » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:46 pm

I'm not able to camp out this weekend. Looks like this may end up just being a recon trip to do some scouting and getting to know the area. I just may have to borrow my friends little 3hp motor to get around more till I know the area better. Now when you say boat launch, your talking about the one that is at then end of the dirt road that goes in for about 1 mile from the Glenn? Or are you talking about right there next to the Knik bridge? Does the tide affect the waters all the way back to the launch site in the woods?
Free
Newb

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:08 pm

Im talkin bout the one at the end of that dirt road.

Also, the tide affects the entire slew. However, the last mile or so (mile closest to the boat launch) is affected only like an inch. After you git out past all the "wooded" area, the tide is critical.

If you git caught out there in a very low tide,you will not be able to use yer motor, and may even have a difficult time paddling.

Just make sure you have a cell phone just incase (yes, there is plent of reception out there :smile: ).

If you have anymore ?'s feel free to ask, im no expert on the area, but have spent many hours there this fall.

:salude:
-Stouff

PS-My MSN is on almoast all the time :thumbsup:

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Lookin towards October

Postby AKCheese » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:05 pm

I've hunted the Jim Creek/Mud, Swan, Gull Lake area the last 2 weekends........pretty slow but we pikced up a few birds Sunday. Looks to me like there aren't many ducks around right now

I've heard some good things about that Rabbit Slew area. Is there plenty of room "out there"? (I think one of the problems you run into at Jim Creek/Mud Lake area is not enough people to move the birds.....)

Anyhow I have a square stern canoe with a mud motor on it. Am I going to get run over by jets or air boats heading down there??

Is there "dry" ground to set up on or do you have to hunt from the boat??

Glad I found this site!

At any rate......... I think the best is yet to come (although opening day was pretty awesome!)
If there's ducks in the drinkin water.......

You know what's got to be done
AKCheese
Newb

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:14 pm

AK cheese,

Ill post up some more infor bout rabbit slew in a little bit.

Glad to see ya on the site!!!

Im actually from Chugiak (Peters Creek) and hunt that area w/ a caonoe also, so I know what yer talkin bout.

Be Back on later! :smile:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting