To find a layout boat

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

To find a layout boat

Postby waldo2382 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:31 am

Hi guys, just wondering where in Alaska I could find a layout boat for sea duckin' for next season out of Port Lions. I haven't seen any for sale on craigslist or in any stores or anywhere online that is relatively close to Alaska. Heck, even near Washington where I could at least throw in on the ferry. I'm kinda lookin' at the two man blind from MLB, preferably the lighter model. For those that ordered elsewhere, what kind of price for shipping? Probably darn near the price of the layout boat itself, I'd imagine. Anyway, just making plans for next season, you can never start too early. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
-Ethan
waldo2382
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:12 pm

If you dig deep into this forum you can find topics where people have built there own but other than just keep looking I don't know where you can find one in your area.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waldo2382 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Well, what I ended up doing is buy some plans for a UFO layout boat and it will give be a nice project to do. Heck of a lot cheaper I think. I'll let ya'll know how it comes along.
waldo2382
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Building your own is the better way to go up here. There is a guy in Kodiak that is planning on buying a couple of boats for his guiding out of Old Harbor and someone else was thinking about some boats for Kodiak area. Those folks are posting on other forums.

If you want to go top dollar get your BS1086 okoume plywood from Hardware Specialties in Anchorage. I would think that you can get marine grade fir plywood down there fairly easy.

Plaschem in Anchorage also sells WEST system epoxy which is some of the most expensive stuff you can buy. I typically order mine through the USPS from RAKA out of florida. Even with the postage it saves money over the WEST product.

When it comes time for the build post up any questions.
AK Ray
hunter

Re: To find a layout boat

Postby tbduck » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Guys, If you still looking for a layout I have one for sale. Looking for $1000. It is a proto type by Lake Bonneville Layouts. I am getting a couple of thier production ones next year and want to sell this one. Great boat. It is already here in Alaska for that price.

Tim B
tbduck
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:47 am

:welcome: I'm sure with the amount of lurkers we have someone will be contacting you.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tbduck » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Finally made it over here.

Tim
tbduck
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:30 am

Well, I still haven't received the plans to the UFO boat yet. I even contacted him and he had my address correct, but no plans, ordered in November. Oh well. I may be interested in that layout tbduck, however I'm pretty nervous about proto type anything as it is well to see if they can improve on it. If you have a picture of it, could you send it my way, I may have to save up a little as I was think that if I built one, I could pretty much by it piece by piece. Welcome to this site, btw.
waldo2382
hunter

Postby tbduck » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Did you get your money back on the plans? That sucks. A couple buddies in Fairbanks ordered the plans and got them okay last winter.

To be honest the only thing protype about my boat is no coast gaurd rating. He did not change anything in the mold for the production boat that is being made. So if you are just using it for personal use it is perfect. There are a bunch if photos of it on his website - http://www.lakebonnevillelayoutboats.com Every boat on website was his protypes, if you go to the gallery the one I am selling is the one in the Alaska pics. He just got the first batch of real ones made this month. I am getting a bunch of them sent up if you want a new one, but shipping makes them more expensive.
tbduck
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:41 am

No insult meant against the Lake Bonneville layouts, but they hunt water that is flat as glass. To me it is an unproven product in waves 1,2,3,4' I'm sure it is a fine product and works great in waters similar to where it was developed, but I would not put my life on the line in a boat that has not spent many many hours in rougher water. Any boat that has a spray sheild as an "option" would scare me.

I think the UFO guy went out of business due to some shady circumstances. Search on Great Lakes Waterfowler for more.

I've hunted out of Bankes and MLB layouts in rough water and feel confident with both.

Again, not a knock against LB boats, I would just not feel safe hunting out of something that was developed on water that is like glass. I feel much more comfortable in a boat that has been proven in rough water already. If we had to wait for <1' waves, we'd never hunt. We are usually out in 1-3' every day.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Well, I ended up buying a used layout boat from a guiding service that is updating it's fleet. It is a Lake Bonneville and it is sweet! I will use it for hunting the bays that are typically protected from the wind and swell. It is for sea ducks and will not be in the open ocean. I can't wait for November and December!
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 am

Cool. Since I'm assuming it does not have a spray shield, PLEASE make sure to no use it in any water where it is not close to being glass. In waves, water will probably come up and into it very easy.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby tbduck » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:02 pm

g_maxson - no reason to assume they do not have a spray shield. They come with one.

Goodluck Waldo! You know if you are coming over this season yet????
tbduck
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:36 am

tbduck wrote:g_maxson - no reason to assume they do not have a spray shield. They come with one.

Goodluck Waldo! You know if you are coming over this season yet????

That's great then. When I spoke to them before, they stated it was a option, and I had never seen one on any of their pics.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby TonyH » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:01 pm

waldo2382 wrote:Well, I still haven't received the plans to the UFO boat yet. I even contacted him and he had my address correct, but no plans, ordered in November. Oh well. I may be interested in that layout tbduck, however I'm pretty nervous about proto type anything as it is well to see if they can improve on it. If you have a picture of it, could you send it my way, I may have to save up a little as I was think that if I built one, I could pretty much by it piece by piece. Welcome to this site, btw.

Hello, This is Tony. I own Waterfowl-Works. I dont get on these sites much but need to find out what is going on with this post. We ship every order as fast a possible. If you could please confirm receipt or provide me with a name.
Take your children hunting, So you dont have to hunt for your children!
TonyH
hunter

Postby TonyH » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 pm

g_maxson wrote:No insult meant against the Lake Bonneville layouts, but they hunt water that is flat as glass. To me it is an unproven product in waves 1,2,3,4' I'm sure it is a fine product and works great in waters similar to where it was developed, but I would not put my life on the line in a boat that has not spent many many hours in rougher water. Any boat that has a spray sheild as an "option" would scare me.

I think the UFO guy went out of business due to some shady circumstances. Search on Great Lakes Waterfowler for more.

I've hunted out of Bankes and MLB layouts in rough water and feel confident with both.

Again, not a knock against LB boats, I would just not feel safe hunting out of something that was developed on water that is like glass. I feel much more comfortable in a boat that has been proven in rough water already. If we had to wait for <1' waves, we'd never hunt. We are usually out in 1-3' every day.

Hello Mr. Maxson, I am intruiged about your post reguarding my business. We are indeed still going strong and am unaware of any shady cicumstances. I do not go to Great Lakes Waterfowler because the owners wasnt happen when I chose a name for a video series similar to something they used it for several years agao. Anyway I cannot access there site to confirm your theory. If you could please PM me the post from GLW where this is stated I would greatly appriciate it.

Tony Homer in otherwords the UFO guy. My phone number is 937-418-7207 as well.
Take your children hunting, So you dont have to hunt for your children!
TonyH
hunter

Postby Erich_870 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:23 pm

TonyH,

Hope the misconceptions have been cleared up. :huh:

Erich
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment"

Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Weed Whacker Boat Motor Build
Erich_870
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:03 pm

I don't frequent that site any more, but from what I remember, you had a lot of the members there up in arms and from reading your posts did not do yourself any good. I think you were eventually banned from the site?

Not my business or problem. But if I was someone looking to do business with you, I would definetly read the threads before doing business with you. But then I would find out as much info as possible on line about anyone I was going to do business with.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby jonnyb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:46 am

otter outdoors makes some really cool looking products. and most of them you can get shipped up with little problem. I believe you can find them on boatsdirect.com or something like that. Might help someone else. good luck
"Honey how many other women you know, Husbands get up early in the morning and spend all day laying face down in the mud to bring their wifes home a duck for dinner......"
jonnyb
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting