Duck Hunting Forum banner

Planning for Eiders

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Beerswimmer 
#1 ·
Ok, since the season ended, I've been making plans for a DIY hunt out of Port Lions and would absolutely love to get an eider. I know there are better places to go for a definate eider hunt, but $4000 plus airfare to St. Paul Island is a little out of my budget right now. I already have the motorboat that I can put on the ferry, 3 dozen eider decoys I just got for Christmas along with the 3 dozen plus another 3 dozen of sea duck decoys. No layout boat yet, but will most likely have one by next season unless I can be talked out of it. I have several spots in mind from studying charts with primary spots and back up spots in case the weather picks up in Marmot Bay. Thinking west side of Ouzinkie, east side of Whale Island and perhaps the south side of Afognak.
Any advice on if I need a layout boat, set up on a point in Marmot Bay or just inside the coves? Has anybody done this type of hunt before?
I'm looking forward to at least giving it a shot next season after the season closes in Homer. FYI, I am fairly familiar with the waters going through Raspberry Strait, Whale Pass, and Ouzinkie Narrows from driving other boats, but it was more of a mission to get from Point A to Point B without looking for birds. Did see quite a few though. Just wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

#2 ·
There are several guides working the area for what few Kings get there. Whale Pass has two giudes that I know of and there are several out of Kodiak and at least one out of Old Harbor. We did well in the early 90's in Whale Pass but a lay-out boat would be dicey with the current coming through there. All the Pacifics we killed were in Woman's Bay off the end of the airport and there weren't that many of them. Just from the small colony that lives there. It takes some tough weather to get many Kings in there. the Shumagins hold quite a few, but access there is non-existant unless you have a big boat.

#3 ·
Cool right on. Right now my plans for January are to go over to Port Lions and stay at a B&B and do some, hunting with perhaps on or two friends for a week. Just to take advantage of the diversity of waterfowl there, I'll bring my gang lines of decoys and a layout boat. Just having them doesn't mean I have to use them. Perhaps I can swing by Kodiak and check out Women's Bay to see what's around there. Last winter I did see one king eider sitting in the middle of the channel before getting to Near Island. Then a few dozen Steller's Eiders. I just know how sometimes the seas can be rather relentless coming into the harbor in winter. Anyway, for a do it yourself type hunt and with the equipment I have, I think that will be my best bet. Thanks for the info, Waterfowler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.