Moving to Anchorage

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Moving to Anchorage

Postby Bigpoppaf3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:59 pm

I will be moving to Alaska around 15 August and was wondering when the duck season starts and ends. I am in Korea right now but was in California for 7 years and our season ran from October-January. I just want to try and get my plans in order.

Any information on hunting/fishing would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Felix
Cupped and Committed

Raider Nation!!
Bigpoppaf3
hunter

Re: Moving to Anchorage

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am

So guessing that your military. I'm in the Air Force myself, currently in Iraq. Our season starts Sept. 1st and being that where in Anchorage it usually last till freeze up but it really end Dec 16th. www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us Use this link to find the shooting hours and other info. Enjoy the season and save some birds for me.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

No birds in Korea?

One of my college buds father had spent a year over there in the AF while the family staid here in ANC. He was invited out by some locals several times and spent many a day shooting ducks. He thought about bringing back some of the asian birds to have mounted, but never did.

As LARed said the season is only 32 days away. I am not ready yet.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby otterbfishin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:56 pm

Give me five minutes AKRay, I'll be ready! Tula starts jumping when I say..."you wanta-go duck hunting, go for a ride in the boat?" Check your PM's
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby Bigpoppaf3 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks for all the information.

Yes I am in the Air Force. Just found out I wont be able to move into my house until 16 Sept, so that is when I will get my guns so no hunting until then for me. Also, being a CA resident I cannot purchase a weapon in Alaska so I need to change my residence before I can even get a new shotgun. Plus I need to scout out the areas to see what is going on.

Once again thanks for all the information and the links.
Cupped and Committed

Raider Nation!!
Bigpoppaf3
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm

By September 16th the action will have slowed since our birds are all local ducks and will have 2 weeks of ed-u-ma-cation by then.

Still there are areas that the birds move into to get away from the pressure and those can be learned by scouting. These spots are not something you post about on the inter tubes or show someone with out a sworn blood oath.

Depending on storms and such the birds from out of the area will be moving through in late September or early October so you should be fine.

Of course global warming has created some interesting fall weather patterns which on a few occasions pushed local birds south and east earlier than normal leaving us high and dry for a month before migrators showed up. The last time this happened Cordova had more ducks than you could shake a stick at and they didn't freeze for months so they had a full season right up to December.

Why do you need a new gun?

To take advantage of the big game hunting opportunities up here you need to change residency ASAP. It takes a calendar year, but the state system is used to the migratory nature of the DoD members so they have a system and clear info in their regulations.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 pm

If I was home i'd help you find some places to hunt as other's have been more than helpfull to me BUT you really learn more by getting out and scouting yourself. Get on goggle maps and just reagular maps. Study the mountain ranges and learn how the birds will be coming down and you'll find where you need to be come game time. PM me for more help if you want it. I killed over a hundred birds last year so I know a place or to but you'll need a wheeler and a good motor because it will take some work if you want the birds. There are some good walk in places but everyone else knows about them too so.

Where do you work? What do you do in the Air Force?
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting