Question for Arizona duck hunters

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Question for Arizona duck hunters

Postby AAR » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:18 pm

I am going to be in Tucson on December 15th this year to do some quail hunting. My question is I would really like to have a chance to get a cinnamon teal too. So what are the numbers like for the cinnamon that time of year, and that part of the state?

Thanks,

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:56 am

PM me and I'll give you a couple of places to check into it. I don't have the knowledge but I think I can send you someplace to get it. I haven't hunted here enough yet. I'll just PM you its easier.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby NativeRat » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:17 pm

Quail around Tucson will be good. Esp. just north of town. Duck numbers are limited right now around the area, but you may get lucky by middle December. Picacho Reservoir north of Tucson is popular, if not pretty. Further west is Tacna, and if you have time to drive that far, you might want to go all the way out to the Colorado River (lakes and NWR areas to hunt) or north to San Carlos reservation or the White Mountains/Flagstaff/Alpine area. Check out http://members.cox.net/azwaterfowl/ for areas to hunt.
NativeRat
Newb

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:01 pm

I just talked to someone that said picacho has a couple of little marshy areas but is basicly dry. I'm head that way right now so I will drive by and post later what I see. But it doesn't sound good.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:35 pm

Picacho is a dry piece of land nothing there except quail and dove. but plenty of both.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby NativeRat » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:28 pm

I drove by Picacho yesterday and saw a flock of spoonbills (?) that circled over the resrvoir and then dove down into the rushes. This piqued my curiousity, so I drove a little way down into the lake bottom, and sloshed around in ankle-high mud hoping to jump a mallard in the small ponds remaining. I saw nothing but egrets and pipers. I salvaged some one's lost decoys for my troubles and narrowly escaped without sinking my jeep in the mud. Hunted quail instead.
NativeRat
Newb

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:56 pm

I guess I should have done something other than glass the area. I saw no water anywhere. Not in any of the ditches or anything.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby NativeRat » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:13 pm

The canal was bone dry, as you said. And I saw no ducks, so I don't think you missed anything. Hope you got some quail! :smile:
NativeRat
Newb

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting