Heasing to pintail lake area

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Heasing to pintail lake area

Postby countryboy32c » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:58 pm

I may be headin to the pintail lake area this sat or sun to do a little duck hunting. New to the area was curious if anyone needed a huntin partner?
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Re: Heasing to pintail lake area

Postby rcdinaz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I was there last weekend for one evening. Some Bluewings flying around and Ruddies all over the place mixed in with the coots. With the weather up north you may have decent timing for some migrating flocks of new birds. The water level is low so you have a fair amount of walking to get back to the water that was holding ducks. You will aslo get the random tourist/birdwatcher up at the front so best just to not have to deal with them.

A buddy of mine was up last week and said he saw some read heads flying so things are looking better. Unfortunately I wont be back up there for about a month.

Good luck!
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby BigJls1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:25 pm

It is over hunted. The problem is alot of people hunt it day in and day out and the birds never get a break, so they leave the area. you will probally bang out a couple, but after the fourth day past the opener I didnt fire a shell. they get smart quick.
BigJls1
hunter

Postby countryboy32c » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm

Any ideas where to go round close to show low snowflake area where I wont need a dog or boat?
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Postby BigJls1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 pm

pretty much all areas you should not need a dog. I have a dog but the cattails are so thick that even she has a hard time marking. we started just shooting one duck at a time and follow the mark. Was a big bummer to loose one of two mallards I shot we you know it dead in there somewhere! Anyway I am not kidding about the AZ fish and game website under where to hunt waterfowl is a very good list, plan on driving (thats what we do in this state). There is very very few sercret spots up in the rim country, the city limits keeps the bird safe and the hunters out of alot of water.
BigJls1
hunter

Postby countryboy32c » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Still not sure of my recognition of ducks round I usually hunted mallards and a lot of wood ducks before I moved here. But I ran up to some water by pintail lake today and counted over 200 ducks on the water. Most of them were mainly black with white bills. Thinkin of goin there tomorrow and do a little huntin without decoys. Do you guys think that would work
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Postby duckbio » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Black bird with white bill is most likely a coot. Especially if it is pointed. If you want to shoot them, go ahead, nothing wrong with eating a few.

If there is plenty of cover for you to sneak around the edge and through the marsh, then you should do fine jump shooting them. Otherwise, unless you are sitting on the "x", or in a flight path, chances are slim of getting very many within shooting range.
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but political correctness is killing me."
duckbio
hunter

Postby rcdinaz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 am

Last month when I was at pintail it was pretty much all coots and ruddies with a few BW Teal mixed in.

More ducks should start showing up now that they have had some storms and a little snow up in the NW.
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby countryboy32c » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Went out scoutin around today. Ran into someone that told me the dark grey or black ducks with a grey bill are called mud hens. Exactly what are those and are they any good to eat. Seen some buffleheads and teals and a few canvasbacks. Goin to go sunday with my gear this time. Anyone wanna go you are more than welcome to join. Good to have company and someone to shoot the bull with in between shots
A countryboy can survive
countryboy32c
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting