Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Postby WiscoHunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am

Ok I have a couple of basic questions. I am new to duck hunting (I have hunted pheasants most of my life). Also I am new to Arizona and from what I have been reading it is not the greatest state to hunt waterfowl, however I am gonna give it a try. I live near Tucson and have been jumping around some water tanks looking for ducks. Does it pay off to set up some decoys in these tanks or should I not even bother? Also what are a good brand of decoys to use, since I don't own any? Next what are some good basic calls to get? I realize I am a little late in the season to be starting this but, I am going to try anyway. Any advice would help.

Thanks

Mike
WiscoHunter
Newb

Re: Newbie

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:28 pm

What brought you here?!? Should of stayed in cheese head land....I can say that cuz my step-mom is from there :lol3: Anyhow do you live north or south of Tucson? Google maps is your friend. You won't find any places like up north to hunt that's for sure but setting up deks in the cattle ponds is about as useless as tits on a bore hog. Late in the season you might get a few stacked up on a water hole but for them to keep coming in is far and few between. Look at the game and fish website for duck hunting info and you'll find you a better spot. Deks, well Az gets a lot of different species but of course mallards are #1 and widgeon and pintail are common. Teal are just about everywhere so a had full of those is good to have, still looking for some myself. As far as call as a beginner I always suggest the DR-85. It’s a call made but my boys in La, cheap call bout 20 bucks but does the trick. And you can't say its late getting started lol, it's November and still 90 flipping degrees. Ducks ain't even here yet.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting