Rainy hunting?

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Rainy hunting?

Postby hubcap » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

Duck hunting noob here and I've waited till the last minute, and now its going to rain tomorrow. Anyone ever hunt in the rain? Is it even worth going out. Went scouting and found what I think might be a pretty good spot along the Salt River. Any experienced river hunters out there.

Thanks
Scott
hubcap
hunter

Re: Rainy hunting?

Postby garthfishandhunt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Of all the weather conditions that exist I prefer to hunt in windy conditions more than anything. I'll take a 30 mph wind, warm and sunny over cloudy, cold and calm any day. This weekend's weather is forecasted to be warm and rainy with little wind, in my opinion not great duck hunting conditions. Having said that, I'll be out there both days this weekend looking for the X.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Yes its worth it, you want to hunt during any tipe of "front" coming through.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hubcap » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:46 am

thanks guys. it's raining pretty good right now. it's going to be my first duck hunt and my nephews first hunt of any kind. should be interesting.
hubcap
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:57 am

Oh, we'll being your first I would of said no unless your on the X but I guess ya'll will be broken in right lol.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby garthfishandhunt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Had to hunt alone today, which I don't like to do, and had to move my blind twice to get on the birds. Ended up with 2 Gads, 2 Widgeon. I am now drying out gear for tomorrow's hunt.
Attachments
Gads and Widgeon.jpg
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby hubcap » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:56 pm

garthfishandhunt wrote:Had to hunt alone today, which I don't like to do, and had to move my blind twice to get on the birds. Ended up with 2 Gads, 2 Widgeon. I am now drying out gear for tomorrow's hunt.

Nice! We weren't so lucky. We saw ducks, but they were always just a little to far away...Still had fun, Maybe next time.
hubcap
hunter

Postby hubcap » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:58 pm

LaRedneck wrote:Oh, we'll being your first I would of said no unless your on the X but I guess ya'll will be broken in right lol.

LOL. We apparently were not on the X. The ducks were always just a little to far out and I'm not a good enough caller...yet.
hubcap
hunter

Postby garthfishandhunt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Windy tomorrow and overcast or downright raining. Should be better condiions than today.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby duxinaz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Rain here in tucson didn't do anything for our duck hunt. Got wet and all the birds must have slept in. Saw 5 honkers on saturday but were'nt able to get on em. All in all this final weekend wasn't as good as the rest of the season. Oh well shot lots of different ducks and happy to be in the blind. Now what season is over???????
duxinaz
Newb

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

duxinaz wrote:Rain here in tucson didn't do anything for our duck hunt. Got wet and all the birds must have slept in. Saw 5 honkers on saturday but were'nt able to get on em. All in all this final weekend wasn't as good as the rest of the season. Oh well shot lots of different ducks and happy to be in the blind. Now what season is over???????

Surely something needs kill'n!

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby garthfishandhunt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:51 pm

On Sunday I couldn't get within a half mile of my spot. The creek had swollen to the point where it was unhuntable. I scouted around a bit, but with the creek still rising, I called it a season at about 10am. I would have posted earlier but, like everyone else around here, I've been dealing with flood waters. There was one yahoo that drove around the "Road Closed" sign and crossed the creek. He made it about 100 yards then the front end of his truck dropped about 4 feet where the water had cut a trench in the road. So he's sitting on the cab of his truck waiting for a tow and the cops tell him through the mega phone to stay put. So he jumps off his truck and walks out. He was warming up in the cop car while everyone else is saving his new Dodge, when they wrote him the big ticket. Point is, especially for us rabid duck hunters, be ultra conservative with regards to water and mud.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting