Finally got to get out yesterday.

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Finally got to get out yesterday.

Postby bigrobbierob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

After a little over a week since the start of the season I finally got to go out.

My cousin and I headed up to Flagstaff to try and grab some birds off of Marshell Lake. We arrived right at 0400hrs and since we have never shot there did some quick scouting to find a good spot. Ended up laying down in a spot that you could tell folks with layout blinds had been. We did this cause we didn't have any marsh seats and the grass wasn't tall enough to stand in. So lay down and cover up with grass we did.

With decoys tossed out we waited for light. Got buzzed by a nice big group of Teal off the bat. Started calling and got the turned around for a second pass but they came around just outta range. Called some more but they were having none of that. Had a few more groups come in but no shots were available. Then a group of four Mallards came along. My cousin and started calling. Going off of what each other was doing we got the birds dancing. He'd hit a 3-5 note I hit the Drake call. He'd hit a feed then while I rolled a couple 3-5 note calls. I was awesome to see the birds go and come back for about 8 minutes till they decided to play it safe and leave. After that we only had a three or four birds show up and then nothing after 0800. So we packed it in.

We both left the marsh feeling like we had a great hunt even without birds on the stringer. We learned that our calling was effective but still needs some tuning. By having birds come in or come back but not commit we learned we are just missing one more piece to the puzzle. Whether that's better decoy placement or just better decoys. Maybe better concealment on our part. Maybe add that jerk string to our set-up. Or hell it might have been that one note in our calling that the birds didn't like. Overall we learned a lot and had a great time.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Re: Finally got to get out yesterday.

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Make sure you not calling right in their face. Focus on wing tips and tails. I would say more of a cover issue as you did up a make shift blind. Try just a simple series of consistent quacks than a set note system. Focus on keepin there attention, use the notes when they are banking. And a jerk string or motion in general in the spread is more important than calling in my opinion.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bigrobbierob » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Jerk string and marsh seat are on my build list this week before the Friday desert opener.

As for the calling part , by not in their face and focus on wing tips and tails do you mean call and when they are facing you back off to single notes. Then when you see them banking or leaving hit the melodies. Am I reading you correctly?
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Yes, if they are coming in just stick with a single quack notes to keep them on line or a feed call. Hit the 3-5 on the bank when they are circling. You can blow them away if your blasting away in there face.

Easy motion or a cheap jerk string is rig up a duck butt and shake that.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bigrobbierob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 am

Thank you for the help Sir.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby MOB40 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 pm

ITS JUST HOT STILL, NEED IT TO COOL DOWN...
Check out my FaceBook Page Azduckmensunion and like it... lots of talk about waterfowl going down all season long... https://www.facebook.com/Azduckmensunio ... e=bookmark
MOB40
hunter

Postby rangerpat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I've been up to Marshall, but didn't see any water before. We're muck boots or waders enough to hunt or do you need a jon boat? I'm still fairly new to Arizona and am itching to get out and hit some ducks. I grew up hunting them in East TX and now that I'm back from being stationed overseas I've got the itch.
rangerpat
Newb

Postby blindbound86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:29 pm

rangerpat, do you live up near marshall?
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby rangerpat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:33 pm

I'm stationed at Luke and live in Surprise. I've been traveling all over chasing dove and quail so far...time for duck so I'm gonna try to hit up some "ducky" areas
rangerpat
Newb

Postby blindbound86 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:31 pm

you don't gotta go all the way up to marshall for the birds bud. desert zone opens Friday. If you wanna, shoot me a P.M. and I could give you some decent local spots worth checking out. I am in Buckeye just south of you.
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby bigrobbierob » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Ranger, hip boots were a minimum there Sunday.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby Azboy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Marshall is supported by DU but I haven't seen water there in a couple of years. Good to know there is some water. If it isn't hot, I have had some luck tracking birds on the other ponds just to the east of there and the observatory. The roads are pretty bad and this time of year the elk hunters are spooking the birds but I have seen quite a number of them. It is worth a shot if Marshall gets stale.
Azboy
Newb

Postby bigrobbierob » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:36 pm

So that pond next to the observatory is shoot able? I ranged it just a tad under a 1/4 with google earth.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby Flagstaff Joe » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 am

Re: bigrobbierob

I've driven past that lake next to the observatory a couple times on the East side, but there's a pretty solid looking barbed wire fence around it, and there appears to be structures right up against the West side. Have you found out anything more about it?
Flagstaff Joe
Newb

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting