Picacho Reservoir

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Picacho Reservoir

Postby danny6172 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Hows the water level? My guess is that after that storm this past weekend that it's gonna be full... Anybody been? Trying to go tomorrow to do some duck hunting in the morning and javelina in the afternoon. Thanks :smile:
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Re: Picacho Reservoir

Postby bass3859 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I drove down there on Tuesday, the 26th, and could not see any water. The ditch by the gate on the west side is basically empty. Saw a post on another board that said there is just a little bit of water, but my guess is it is probably out in the middle. He said it took a lot of work traipsing through several inches of mud to reach it, and there were very few, if any, birds there.

Gonna take a lot more storms like last weekend to put some huntable water in there, I believe. For me, I am not going to waste my time on it.
bass3859
hunter

Postby HAC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:33 pm

I took a trip last Friday am a butt load of pintails most I have ever seen at once but there was no water to bring them in, there was a pool of water in the middle not enough to work I thought they never looked at it they just flew by, the road became really bad on the way out with the rain. good luck fellows
Wait Wait Take'em
HAC
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Does picacho have water now? Last season I went around this time and picacho was full of water, the reeds were nice and yellow and the mallards, pintails, and widgeons were decoying nicely... Anybody been to picahco?
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby akaspecials » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Picacho is 95% full. Lots of ducks. All dabbling ducks too! The bass fishing has recovered too. Make sure you bring your pole.
akaspecials
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks! Really want to get out to that cow crap infested place :rolleyes:
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Well thanks for ruining my Christmas. Picacho is at 5% water level and the mud sucks. You got one thing right though, all puddle ducks, 2 teal to be exact.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Eh, I probably deserve it for e-scouting anyways.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby akaspecials » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Dude. Sorry you drove all the way down. I thought the bass comment would give away my sarcasm. Picacho has emptied out the last few years and there is no way bass could recover. We killed one duck on the 24th. So I don't think you missed an amazing day. Still waiting for the birds to arrive. Sorry again. Not my intention to lead ya on a wild goose chase.
akaspecials
hunter

Postby migr82az » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:10 am

Danny, I have met akaspecials in the field, I don't think he had any bad intentions. With or without sarcasm, e-scouting has it's positives and negatives..
Hope your next time out ends with heavy straps. Good luck.
migr82az
hunter

Postby gabeaz12 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:24 pm

Picacho sucks! Did not see one duck, got stuck in the bull crap mud and had to leave early before a quail hunt, we were on the east side
gabeaz12
Newb

Postby waterlog » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:18 pm

As of 12/28 when I was out the reservoir was bone dry. I still ended up with 3 mallards, if it was not for my modified choke I would have been able to get more. It is just harder to hunt with no water. I am definitely buying a new shotgun for next season :)
waterlog
Newb

Postby gabeaz12 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:26 pm

finally azgfd actually will do something to picacho! Even though its only stocktanks, its a start!!!! http://www.abc15.com/news/region-centra ... -mountains
gabeaz12
Newb

Postby danny6172 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 am

gabeaz12 wrote:finally azgfd actually will do something to picacho! Even though its only stocktanks, its a start!!!! http://www.abc15.com/news/region-centra ... -mountains

It's a start, hopefully.

I was actually at picacho today. There was some water towards the middle and there was a bunch of green-wings, some cinnamon teal, 2 pairs of sprigs, a couple mallards, and one wigeon. Took some time to walk around the edges and saw about ten non-operational blinds :no: Only two blinds are still working from the looks of it, the two in the middle where all water and the ducks were. One of the working blinds already looks like its falling apart, seeing as there was no more "camo" on it. We as a state forum should get together to rebuild some of the blinds and restore them to there former glory... That would be awesome.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am

danny6172 wrote:
gabeaz12 wrote:finally azgfd actually will do something to picacho! Even though its only stocktanks, its a start!!!! http://www.abc15.com/news/region-centra ... -mountains

It's a start, hopefully.

I was actually at picacho today. There was some water towards the middle and there was a bunch of green-wings, some cinnamon teal, 2 pairs of sprigs, a couple mallards, and one wigeon. Took some time to walk around the edges and saw about ten non-operational blinds :no: Only two blinds are still working from the looks of it, the two in the middle where all water and the ducks were. One of the working blinds already looks like its falling apart, seeing as there was no more "camo" on it. We as a state forum should get together to rebuild some of the blinds and restore them to there former glory... That would be awesome.

I'm down. I don't even hunt over there but any excuse to be outside and help local hunters and ducks. Let's do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby blindbound86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Danny, hit me up with a date when you wanna do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Some day in June or July would be nice. We have to make sure Picacho is empty though.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby threedogs » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:42 pm

I have a PPF 7hp longtail that's perfect for that place ( if it has any water ) for sale.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:55 pm

How much? Interested
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby threedogs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:13 am

LaRedneck wrote:How much? Interested

$900 and I'm firm on that price. Motor was used three times and worked flawlessly .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Coppermineraz » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi guys new to this forum and duck hunting. I did recently go check out picacho res. to see if I could get a kayak in it. No water, but it has rained recently so I am going to check it out in the next few days to see if any water has developed. I live kinda close to it so it's not a big deal for me to check it out. I will keep you guys posted on the condition, going to look for dove a quail while I am there too. I love hunting them! Lol. Any advise on getting into duck hunting in az would be awesome too. Thanks guys.
Coppermineraz
Newb

Postby threedogs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:42 am

There is some water in it but it's a long long way from being full . I was there yesterday and will be there tomorrow morning testing a mud motor canoe setup . I'd rather get wet in this weather than during the season .
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby RemmingtonShooter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:22 am

Did you guys ever go and work on a blind out there like you talked about doing?
RemmingtonShooter
hunter

Postby Coppermineraz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 am

I will keep am eye out for you when I go over there threedogs, glad to know there is a little water in there. If you guys end up working on those blinds too let me know I would love too help to.
Coppermineraz
Newb

Postby Coppermineraz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Me and a buddy went last night finally, looking rabbits with the old 10/22. A lot more water in there they last time I went, even came up to the bottom of the freeboard. Judging by the rain right now it may be getting a little more too!!!
Coppermineraz
Newb

Next

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting