Off season hobbies

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Off season hobbies

Postby blindbound86 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Well, after the youth hunt tis season is over. What do you guys got planned for the "off season" I am dusting off the fishing gear and preparing to rip lips. I am also going to build a boat this summer. The hybrid NL. What do you fellas do once season is over?
assateague wrote:Know what tolerance is good for? Making more sissies. It's like sissy fertilizer.
blindbound86
hunter

Re: Off season hobbies

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 pm

Fishing & Training dogs
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby garthfishandhunt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 am

Ultimately, there really is no "off season". There are only two aspects to life. 1) duck season 2) preparing for duck season. Just this week, I ordered two cases of shotgun shells (they are on sale guys), a game cart and a couple marsh seats. For my large duck boat, I'm going to build a new blind, sell my old blind, install carpet, install a galley, repair lights on both boat and trailer. Recently I acquired a Grumman Sportboat and trailer. For the Grumman I'm going to install a blind and acquire a small motor, and completely rebuild the trailer. We also have a son getting married in July which is a real pain in the ass, because the wedding is across the country which will eat up two weeks right in the middle of "getting ready for duck season". I also don't eat ducks during the season. I freeze them all and in the off season have several banquet type meals for the guys I hunted with. I've got about 8 dozen birds in the freezer so it will be a full banquet season. Also have about 10 lbs of spoonies for sausage. On Monday of this past week, I met with several of the guys I hunt with.We set a tentative schedule for next season, White Mountains in early Oct, etc. Of course, I will continue to dog train several times per week. Almost forgot, I've still got about 20 Teal in my duck frig that I've got to clean and freeze in the next couple days. Gotta get my Elk app in by Feb 11. As of today, it is only 8 months and 5 days until we leave for White Mountains so it's time to get busy.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:55 pm

Do you understand Possession limits?!?

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby garthfishandhunt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 pm

LaRed. Yes I do understand possession limits. When I say "I", I really mean "we". I own an RV Park (and live onsite), here in Tonto Basin. I hunt with 4 other tenants and I have a couple chest freezers where we all keep our wild game. Possession limit being 21 each, we can legally have 105 ducks in the freezer. We label and package them individually in a manner within the law, including the reduced limits for Hen Mallard, Redhead, Canvasback, Pintail and Scaup. Most of our wives don't each duck, so after the season, and sometimes during the season, we get together and grill a bunch of birds and have a feast. My truck is camo'd and often the only one parked at the landing so the local wardens and sheriffs know me and talk to me frequently. I would find it too challenging to attempt to break game laws and frankly I don't like looking over my shoulder so I stay within the law. Fair question tho.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 pm

Right on man! Just didn't want mean green lurkin the site and come a knocking on your door.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby arizonaduckman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:56 pm

it aint off season yet! jr. hunt still goin!! got my first goose today!
Attachments
IMG_6650.jpg
Pintails-6
mallards-5
BW-3
GW-21
Wigeon-14
shoveler-45
Gadwall-3
scaup-3
redhead-2
canvasback-4
arizonaduckman
hunter

Postby Coonass22 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Fish, froggin, trappin, beach, crabbin, with my wife and girls and go watch my son play some college baseball

Sent by pony express
1648 wantin a gatortail

Mud buddy sucks
Coonass22
hunter

Postby danny6172 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Javelina in February, turkey in April, archery deer in August, dove in September, and hopefully cow elk in October.
There are no ducks in AZ
danny6172
hunter

Postby MOB40 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 am

GARTH I HOPE ME TY ARE PART OF YOUR EARLY OCT HUNT IN THE WHITES LOL...
Check out my FaceBook Page Azduckmensunion and like it... lots of talk about waterfowl going down all season long... https://www.facebook.com/Azduckmensunio ... e=bookmark
MOB40
hunter

Postby garthfishandhunt » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

MOB,
consider yourself invited to Whites in Oct.
garthfishandhunt
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 pm

Getting a sneak boat built at the moment, so I'll be busy rigging it and testing. I turn duck calls so I'll catch up on that some. Plan on doing a lot of scouting for spots to scout during the season.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 pm

Whoops... My bad boys. I didn't realize this was an AZ thread haha. It's not easy to figure out using Tapatalk.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby MOB40 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am

GARTH THE MAN...
Check out my FaceBook Page Azduckmensunion and like it... lots of talk about waterfowl going down all season long... https://www.facebook.com/Azduckmensunio ... e=bookmark
MOB40
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting