southern Arizona birds???

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

southern Arizona birds???

Postby shaftermoko » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:12 am

anyone know of some decent areas for flyers around Tucson Az
shaftermoko
hunter

Postby haiwee » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:19 pm

It's a bit of a drive for you, but Alamo Lake north of Wenden tends to shoot good the last month or so of the season. You'll need a boat to reach the most productive coves, and you'll do best with a small decoy spread (maybe seven to ten dekes at most). I just got back from a Thanksgiving hunt there, and we did O.K. As an added bonus, this year there's a flock of honkers working the lake (we only seem to get geese every three or four years there).

I'll be there the first of the year, hunting with my Dad. The more the merrier, we always say -- more hunters on the water help keep the ducks moving. If there are only a couple of groups out the birds tend to raft-up in the unoccupied coves.
haiwee
hunter

Postby cjc » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:56 am

Are there really ducks near Tucson?
cjc
hunter

yes we found ducks!!!

Postby shaftermoko » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 pm

Yea here actually ducks down south near Tucson. On the Buenos Aires N.W.R. we saw a decent number of mallards and others and also south on and around Arivaca lake - around 16-20 mallards mix of hens and drakes, some gadwalls,many many many coots, a couple shovelars and such
shaftermoko
hunter

Postby huntingducks » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:58 am

can you hunt alamo? i dont know anybody that has hunted it. can you get there on foot or do you need a boat?
huntingducks
hunter

Postby haiwee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

I hunt Alamo all the time. There are a couple of coves you can walk to, but the best areas are accessible only by boat. The water level is way down and many of the spots that have been good in years past are high and dry. This year the birds are working best at the east end of the lake.
haiwee
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting