anyone in arizona

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

anyone in arizona

Postby Infamous20 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:44 pm

I am just getting started just looking for someone to go duck hunting with and hopefully learn how to call and setup some blinds have been buying most of the stuff over the last few months and would love to get my first bird... I have been dove and quail many times but have always wanted to get a duck or two or even three...

well thanks for any help

MikE
Infamous20
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Welcome to the great addiction. I wish I had time to take you out, but I have had little time to scout, and little time to hunt. I don't have much to give you for advice on where to start this year. It was very dry. But you are in buckeye, I would take a look at the az game and fish website, it will give you an idea of places to start, and there is the river out by you. I don't hunt with much in AZ half a dozen dekes, and a whistle will get you by. its tough to give really good instruction on how to get started off the internet, its easier to teach someone in person, and the rest of this season is tough for me.

Hopefully someone else on here can pipe in and help you out. I will do what I can to give you advice. Ask some more precise questions and I will give it my best to help you.

And welcome aboard
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

anyone in arizona

Postby Infamous20 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Thank you, I am going up to camp verde this weekend hopefully to find a nice water hole... I went out and scouted the gila river but 2 days didnt see any ducks but 2 high flyers. I havent bought any dekes yet but still waiting to go with someone with them so i get a feel for what to buy... I got the clothing and the gun (beretta xtrema2) should get the job done. Wasnt to sure what shells to buy so i bought a little of everything... (3 inch 4 shot, 3 1/2 2 shot) probably gonna pick up a couple more boxes before i go of some BB shot just in case I come across some honkers... Well thanks again if ya ever need some help out there just let me know id be glad to learn more about the sport.

MikE
Infamous20
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:27 pm

i've taken more geese with #1 and #2 shot than I have with BBs. I shoot #3s for ducks mainly and will shoot some #2s depending on the conditions. I cary both. All you really need for decoys are a few mallards and a couple teal. I hunt with Avery Hot buys because they are cheap usually around $20 when on sale. Itake a couple of them, and a couple teal decoys and then a couple coot decoys. Usually 7 or 8 at most for total number of decoys. Depends on the spot and the time of year. I own about 4 dozen total, some here some in wisconsin. Gets to be a bit much sometimes.

most of the gear is there to catch the hunter not the duck. LOL.

Good luck with the weekend. Wish I could join you.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Infamous20 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:43 pm

What part of wisonsin you from? My father in law is from there I heard it is very cold out there, probably some good hunting...

Thank you again for the advise im gonna have to go to cabellas lol I feel like I live there... Where do you buy your shells from? I bought 3 boxes of remington and 2 boxes of winchestor just cause they were half the price...

Well if ya get any free time just let me know I am willing to drive anywhere for a good hunt...

MikE
Infamous20
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:48 pm

I usually hit up sportsmans warehouse for shells, cheaper and a better offering than cabelas, you could get your dekes there also when ready. they have much better prices for the most part, and its closer to buckeye for you than Cabelas.

I shoot kent and winchester. But I shoot a little bit slower stuff than most people do. its all in the preference. You won't find the kent ammo I shoot here in az. I found it in Wisconsin and brought a case back. For some reason the Kent Precision Steel is not in az. but the fast steel or remingtons or winchester High Velocity should do you just fine. Ihave killed plenty of ducks with all of them. We just all have our preferences.

Oh and i'm from the LaCrosse area. i grew up on the mississippi.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Infamous20 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:52 pm

ok ill go check sportsmens out tonight...

Thanks again :smile:
Infamous20
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting