New to Arizona

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

New to Arizona

Postby Looking4Ducks » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Brandon and I am new to duck hunting in Arizona. I live in the Scottsdale area and have been trying to find some places to hunt. I got some advice from Game and Fish to check out Horseshoe Lake so I went today. When I got there it looked like it could hold some ducks but the water level was too low to launch my boat. I have a 16x50 Gator Trax w/hunt deck and 35hp HD. Any advice on other lakes in this area like Bartlett, Roosevelt, Pleasant, etc. or should I be looking else where.

I am not looking for a honey hole just where to get started. I would also enjoy meeting some guys to hunt with as all my hunting buddies are back in Texas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby 6x6pinz » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:10 am

not to discourage you but unless you have time off during the week it is kind of a lte start. There is less than 14 days left of this season. :sad:
I have wanted to take my boat out to Alamo lake this year just did not fing the time. Roosevelt can be a good place although it is a large lake and can be difficult to pin down their location on a day by day basis.
6x6pinz
hunter

Postby Looking4Ducks » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm

Hey 6x6 thanks for responding. Yeah late start I know but I am just wanting to go a couple of times before the season ends. I have a Gator Trax 16x50 w/hunt deck and a 35hp HD mud motor so I think I am going to try the Verde river. Seems like rivers always hold ducks if you can just find a spot. I am also looking for a hunting buddy for the up coming season. I figure I can scout this spring and summer while fishing and try to have a couple of early season locations and late season locations.
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:05 pm

I'll give you some advice after I get some rest. I'm in Scottsdale myself, so I can try to get you on a couple of birds before the season is over. I'm trying to get out myself thursday.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

FYI

Postby Looking4Ducks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:28 am

The Verde river b/t Horseshoe and Bartlett seems to be holding some ducks. I went up there today and did some scouting and glassed a few flocks of redheads and scaups. Kind of suprised I did not see any mallards but quite a few coots. I thought I saw some Canvasback but not certain. In Texas, we primarily see Mallards, Woodies, Teal, Wiegon, and Gadwall so I am not to good a identifying some of the species out here on the fly. I am hoping to go out Sunday.
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby 6x6pinz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 am

If you cn get out during the week this week let me know. I am hoping to get out a couple of times during the week this week.
6x6pinz
hunter

Hello

Postby Looking4Ducks » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey 6x6 sorry I just now read this. I actually went this morning to a spot I scouted over the weekend. I did not have any ducks decoy so about 8:30 I picked up and moved further up the river. I busted several ducks so I parked the boat under a tree on the water and sat for about 15 min. I had a couple of Common Mergansers come by and got one. I am going back tomorrow and hopefully have a lot of passing shots. You had any luck?
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby 6x6pinz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:09 am

We had some pretty good luck yesterday. We went down to Yuma with DesertDucks (great guy). We got into a variety of birds. Still trying to get his bull canvasback though. I did get my first in the bag pintail so that was nice. We ended up with a pintail, cinanom teal, GWT, gadwall, shoveler, and a ringneck in the bag. Hopefully there are a couple more hunts left in me for this season.
6x6pinz
hunter

Postby Looking4Ducks » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:58 pm

6x6 that is awesome. I am still waiting on my first canvasback and pintail. In Texas most season you could not shoot either due to the lack of number. I went out this morning, back to the Verde, boat was in the water and ready at 6:05. I was going to be able to get deep in the river. Everything was ready, plugged in the spot light and blew the freaking fuse, total blackout. Oh well got it all figured out and I am ready for tomorrow. I went and got a 400,000 candle spotlight so it pulls less amps. I am good to go for in the morning.

How far is Yuma? Lake, River, Pond? What mode of transportation to get to hunting spots?

How do I insert a pic here and I will upload my ungly mug shot in case I run into in the field.
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby 6x6pinz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:04 pm

Yuma is a 3 hour drive for me. We meet up with DesertDucks and he drives to spots on the river where the ducks have been known to be. It is a modified sort of jump shooting just lots of pools of water in relatively small distances.

You can upload a picture to one of the free video/pic hosting sites, I use www.photobucket.com and then copy the picture link and paste it here.
6x6pinz
hunter

Postby Looking4Ducks » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Hey man that sounds fun but 3 hrs is a long trip for one day. Could you go for the weekend and camp out on the river/land? Can you get their by boat?

Here is my photo using Photobucket. Lets see if it works.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69 ... 08-002.gif
Looking4Ducks
hunter

Postby 6x6pinz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:50 am

There is camping on the Colorado river and you could use the boat there and maybe some of the back waters. The little pools that we have been jumping are not connected and a boat would not be of much value on them.
I don't mind the drive. We leave here around 5a and return aroudn 10:30p. with a good day of hunting in between. I have not had the schedule time to be able to stay over.
I am hoping the cards fall right this week and I can get out at least once during the week. Work is really starting to get crazy.
6x6pinz
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting