CIBOLA NWR

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

CIBOLA NWR

Postby cm275 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Does anyone have any information on duck and goose hunting this area. I'm also looking for a campground in the area. Thanks
cm275
Newb

Postby LIGHT12 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:39 pm

First off welcome aboard.

I have not hunted that area. Do to work constraints I tend to stick to other parts of the state. I wish i could give you some info. I will ask around.

If no one answers quickly don't get discouraged. The AZ forum is slow during the off season.

But someone will pop on that has some answers for you. Having never hunted there I can't help you. But here is the website for Cibola. Perhaps you can go from there.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/ar ... ibola.html
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Cibola

Postby huntnaz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 am

There are several places to hunt on or off the refuge itself. You should get a map at the refuge office on river rd just south of basline, To keep your self out of trouble from hunting in places that are off limits to hunting.
There is a public area for goose hunting called the farm unit 2, And on the west side of the river(STILL IN AZ) Called the island unit for duck hunting. When you hit them at the right time can be fantastic, But like I tell everyone else you must scout to see where the birds are going.
As far as camping there is none on the refuge, But you can camp on BLM land nearby, If you want more comfy, Try the B AND B on basline rd They have dry hookups and cabins for rent. Good Luck
huntnaz
hunter

Postby cm1376 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:59 pm

I hunt the area quite often we do quite well on the island unit in the evening seems like all the yahoo sky blasting pass shooters are out in the morning. We usually hunt the back south east corner in the a.m. because no one wants to walk gear that far there is also good hunting in some smaller ponds that most dont know about... The farm unit is ok at best for geese but you better have a heck of a field spread to compete with some of those guys! Early seasons not bad for geese on the island unit but tward the end the birds get really spookey!!Pm me if you want to talk about spacific spots!!
cm1376
Newb

Re: CIBOLA NWR

Postby had » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:26 pm

hey cm, did you do much hunting at cibola this last season? i used to hunt there alot but have been working in cali for 4 years. i am back home here in yuma and i am ready for my first season in 4 years. let me know if anything has changed in that time as far as where you can go or if it is all still the same. i used to do pretty good with some real nice mixed bags.
thanks
had
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby huntnaz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:05 pm

The only things that have changed, Is that water is back in hart mine marsh finaly, And you have to be off the island unit @ 3:30 pm :fingerhead:
huntnaz
hunter

Postby had » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 pm

good and bad news. lol. thanks for the info.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby duckninja » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:46 pm

I have hunted the island unit for years, but will not any more. They have a new director that has terrible ideas about management. They arent flooding all the fields anymore, just one or two at a time, so those fields and the sloughs are standing room only. They also planted less food in those fields. All the food is on goose loop where you cant hunt. You cant hunt farm unit without a permit which you get by draw, but you have to put in for a permit the previous year to have a chance to get one. They say you can show up early to try to get a left over, but good luck. You also have to put up with the dumbest hunters ever (mostly Californians). One of those idiots was wading around in the flooded field looking up at the sky like he was dove hunting. Needless to say, I packed it in early that day. One of the fish and wildlife employees that was swabbing the outgoing birds for bird flu told me the numbers at Pintail slough near Havasu were much better.
duckninja
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting