*** QUAIL HUNTING ***

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

*** QUAIL HUNTING ***

Postby jckesl » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:24 pm

I have been in Arizona now for 3 months. Arizona duck hunting has been terrible so I am going to try some quail hunting in the morning. I would like to meet up with some people that would like to go quail hunting in the future. I live in Surprise close to the 303. I will let everyone know how I did and post pictures tommorrow afternoon.
jckesl
Newb

Friday Hunt

Postby jckesl » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:50 pm

Well I went up to the vulture mountains by wickenburg this morning for my first quail hunt. I saw a few quail in road on blm land so I got out and did some looking. I was surprised how many quail there were. I got 2 and lost 2 but they were everywhere. I am still learning though. Boy it was some tough walking up and down hills. I got a cactus in the leg to boy that hurt. Im from Arkansas so I need to watch for those things in the future. I had 3 guys in a Jeep mouth off at me because they were deer hunting. I called game and fish and they said I was OK. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Also I would like to find some guys or gals that like to hunt quail and we could learn together. Send me an email if anyone is interested. jameschriskesl@yahoo.com

Thanks,
jckesl
Newb

Postby 6x6pinz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:44 pm

with the ducks finally getting here in numbers it is going to be difficult to find someone to hunt quail with, at least on this board. We got into a good number of quail while doing some early duck scouting. After duck is over might be more interested in getting out after quail again.
6x6pinz
hunter

Postby HAC » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Hey Chris trying to recruit I told you when the ducks get to the desert its all over but the crying lol. And Chris well go hunting with you buddy any time HAC
HAC
hunter

Re: Friday Hunt

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:29 pm

jckesl wrote:Well I went up to the vulture mountains by wickenburg this morning for my first quail hunt. I saw a few quail in road on blm land so I got out and did some looking. I was surprised how many quail there were. I got 2 and lost 2 but they were everywhere. I am still learning though. Boy it was some tough walking up and down hills. I got a cactus in the leg to boy that hurt. Im from Arkansas so I need to watch for those things in the future. I had 3 guys in a Jeep mouth off at me because they were deer hunting. I called game and fish and they said I was OK. Has anyone else had an experience like this? Also I would like to find some guys or gals that like to hunt quail and we could learn together. Send me an email if anyone is interested. jameschriskesl@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Get a nice quail call and when you flush them wait a little bit and call. The call kinda sounds like you are saying Chaketa into the call and they will call back, which lets you know where they are hiding. I spent a lot of time listening to them talk to each other when they are split up and that helps you mimic the call. We have a dog who helps a lot too, especially with retrieving because they blend in so well, and her nose works great!

Have fun! They are fast and fun.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby haiwee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:42 am

[/quote]

Get a nice quail call and when you flush them wait a little bit and call. The call kinda sounds like you are saying Chaketa into the call and they will call back, which lets you know where they are hiding. I spent a lot of time listening to them talk to each other when they are split up and that helps you mimic the call. We have a dog who helps a lot too, especially with retrieving because they blend in so well, and her nose works great!

Have fun! They are fast and fun.[/quote]

I second what Nature Girl says. Another call I've used with success on Gambel's quail is a hawk call, particularly if they're running a lot. Quail seem to be even more afraid of a red-tailed hawk than a hunter, and a squeal on the call will often make them hold better.
haiwee
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:06 am

haiwee wrote:

I second what Nature Girl says. Another call I've used with success on Gambel's quail is a hawk call, particularly if they're running a lot. Quail seem to be even more afraid of a red-tailed hawk than a hunter, and a squeal on the call will often make them hold better.[/quote]

It's funny you say that. My son was just saying the other day about getting a hawk call because we were driving down the road and all these boards just dived when they saw the hawk. He was thinking it would work for quail too so at least they wouldn't flush too far. We gotta get one of those. Smart kid of mine!
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting