UNSURE OF MANY AREAS :help:

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

UNSURE OF MANY AREAS :help:

Postby DUCKMARKSMAN » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:17 pm

So I have been duck hunting since January so only got a few last season here near the tucson area. This is the first real season and havn't seen many ducks so I was wondering if anyone knows any decent or better places 1-1 and a half hours from tucson please get back to me A.S.A.P and Picacho res. is all dried up.
GOOTIMES!!!!
DUCKMARKSMAN
Newb

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:23 pm

I would recommend scouting and lots of scouting and more scouting. That is how we find our spots for all types of hunting. It's kinda hard to just tell other people where we hunt after we put in a ton of time and leg work. Duck hunters, especially, do not like to share their spots.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby haiwee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:57 am

It's a drive for you, but one place I would point you to is Alamo Reservoir, near Wenden. My Dad's there now, and he says the birds are finally arriving in good numbers. This is one of the few places I've hunted where it's actually better when there are more hunters on the water moving the ducks around, so I don't mind advertising it. The more the merrier! And don't give up too early; the fishermen usually don't hit the water until about 9:00, and when they do they'll often start the birds moving again, leading to some great late-morning shooting.

If you don't have a boat, there are still places around the lake where you can hunt from shore. You don't need a huge spread; the ducks seem to shy from any spreads larger than about a dozen. I often just put out five or six mallards and four or five teal.

Lots of spoonies and green wing teal, but also a decent number of mallards, redheads and gadwall. We'll also get honkers in every once in a while. The best thing about Alamo is that you can camp along the shoreline. I'll be heading back the last four days of the season -- I'll try to post a trip report afterwards.
haiwee
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting