Anybody been doing anything lately?

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

Anybody been doing anything lately?

Postby azdukhuntr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 pm

It's been really quiet around here for awhile. I know it's just the beginning of the off season but was just wondering what everyone was up to.

My son and I were up in the White Mountains the other day and had the boat in a couple of lakes for some spring fishing. I caught 3 rainbows at Horseshoe Lake on the White Mountain Apache Reservation and he caught another at River reservoir in Greer. The prize of the day was an 18" 3 lb German brown that he landed at River Res. We were trolling Rapalas at depths of 6 to 8 ft. The weather was gorgeous and all the lakes were full. My favorite lake, Fools Hollow, in Show Low has risen aprx 10 feet or more since last year. The lake is full and flowing over the spillway. :eek: It looks like it did 30 years ago. I'm going to have to re-learn all that new structure that hasn't been under water in years. Looking forward to working all the new catfish hiding places. :grooving:

All the geese we saw were paired up and some looked like they've already staked out nesting territory. :thumbsup:
"There's nothin' better than watchin' the world come alive from a duck blind"
azdukhuntr
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Anybody been doing anything lately?

Postby liljoe314 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Went out and spent around six hours building a blind in a spot i had scouted last season. Was quite the adventure as it had rained all night. Got stuck in the mud, then stuck in the sand then rained on then broke the chain saw all before starting the work. But it should be good for next season.

This also inspired me to put new wheels and tires on the jeep. Lift kit goes on tomorrow and compressor should show up tomorrow as well. As I dont fish in this state i will be out playing with the new upgrades to the jeep and checking out areas for next season.

Joe
liljoe314
hunter

Postby Dave in AZ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:17 pm

I hope you carved "LJ" into it somewhere, so when I run across it this year I'll know it's yours ;)
Good luck on the water level being the same next season-- this year at the end it was as high as I've seen it.

Just got back from a week of waves and relaxation in Hawaii. Thought I was going to go trap shooting near Hanauma bay, but a family trip to the Battleship AZ Memorial in Pearl Harbor trumped that. They've also got a WWII sub there now, and the "Mighty Mo" battleship Missouri as a museum now. All pretty cool.

We did see some of those Hawaiin ducks, as well as some mallards. I have no idea how or where folks in HI hunt, it must be hell to find anyplace. For that alone, I wouldn't live there. But fun to visit.

I did take new 20ga O/U to the range and do some POA/POI pattern testing, and some chrono work on 7/8oz 20ga skeet load and 7/8oz 12ga skeet loads, a couple weeks ago. All was good, good POI and barrel alignment, good loads.
Dave in AZ
hunter

Postby MOB40 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Haven't done much just taking on more work I have a couple trips planed this summer take the crawler too Moab and the Rubicon this year no trip home to Hawaii this year so looks like I'm possibly going to Canada for some hunting this winter.. As for duck hunting in Hawaii there is none there's no season...
John Manuel ProStaff for Precision Duck & Goose Calls

https://www.facebook.com/Azduckmensunio ... e=bookmark
MOB40
hunter

Postby camoedfowler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Work, work, work. The disease caused me to do some looky Lou escapades on the Rio Grande and Pecos rivers in NM. All gawking, not scouting as I don't see me ever hunting those spots. Three dog has influenced me to maybe try some spots in the north part of that state, but as some of you guys know, I have hunted one area pretty much exsclusivly since my move to Az in 02. I have played around in many areas, but settled in on one joint by 05.

Played a round of golf and fantasized that my 3 iron was my shotgun and how I could have blasted 5 widgeon with one shot and then pulled off an over the shoulder capsize of the Canadian trying to escape back door willy. That was a much better vision than the chilly dip. Hang loose, I will check in from time to time
camoedfowler
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting