New to forum's, duck hunting, and labs

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

New to forum's, duck hunting, and labs

Postby Pwechsler » Thu May 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Hey all, Phil here. First time visitor to your site and new to the world of duck dogs. I have been upland hunting for years and have experience hunting and competing on an amateur level with my shorthairs. I recently lost one of my shorthairs to parvo while she was at summer camp (yes she was immunized). That opened a spot in my house for a lab, something that I have wanted to do for a long time, so I put a deposit down on a dog and here we are. I'm really just looking to see if anyone trains out on the east valley that wouldn't mind me coming by. I don't know any lab guys, so I'm really starting from scratch. Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated, in return I would be happy to take someone out mearns hunting. In the meantime I'll be reading through the threads and watching YouTube videos.. Thank you!
Pwechsler
Newb

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: New to forum's, duck hunting, and labs

Postby ten lb test » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Good luck with your new pup. I would recommend you get a copy of Evan Graham's basic book or cd. To answer your ? there are 2 guys in Apache Junction that train for hunting & tests. One of them is a friend of mine but he is probably headed back to Montana for the summer, & I don't know the other guys name. However they both belong to Copper State HRC which has a website & organized training days. In the summer they train in the mountains on several Saturdays. I would highly recommend you contact someone in the club. Wish you lived over her on the Colorado River. The nearest guy I can find to train with lives in Kingman 60mi. away. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Re: New to forum's, duck hunting, and labs

Postby Pwechsler » Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for the response Pete! I will get his book this week and I will reach out to the club. I have a feeling I will be using a lot of my bird dog methods blended with what I can read and watch from other's recommendations. Arizona is so spread out, i wish I was on the Colorado too, although I wouldn't be opposed to making the drive to train on weekends! Thanks again for your input, I'm relying heavily on those who came before me for direction.
Pwechsler
Newb

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting