duck hunting in Az.....

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

duck hunting in Az.....

Postby fetchingfloyd » Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 pm

I have been to Az numerous times and was wondering how much waterfowl hunting there is in Az. Is there any near Pheonix, Mesa area at all? I usually see tons of quail when I am in Az but not much if any waterfowl.....
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Re: duck hunting in Az.....

Postby BigJls1 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:37 am

Well,

Its pretty hush hush. You can get on birds the problem is not that we dont have enough water to get birds....it that for the amount of bird we get there is alot of water, which isnt much. pond jumping is productive. Setting up a blind and decoys is hit or miss as the birds here I have noticed dont move around much after morning flight, you'll get about 30 minutes of early flight then they just hold tight and roost and feed in same area.

Roosevelt, late season hold alot of duck and geese, but it is HUGE so youre either in the right cove or your not.

Scouting rivers and cattle ponds is where its at. If you want to shoot duck in AZ plan on ALOT of driving.

JJ
BigJls1
hunter

Postby fetchingfloyd » Mon May 18, 2009 8:05 pm

any pheasant hunting other than game farms?

any blue grouse hunting at all?
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Postby waldo2382 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:56 am

Well, since I don't live in the area anymore but without giving up the spots. Yuma, AZ and it really helps to have a boat. Launch on the California side and look out for sand bars. There are more lakes there than some people know, just gotta know where the lakes are. Years of scouting and hunting helped me figure it out. Had some dang good days there.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby fetchingfloyd » Sun May 31, 2009 10:36 pm

cool. thanks. i always think of Az as a quail destination never thinking there might be some hidden gems for waterfowl. :thumbsup:
fetchingfloyd
DHC Sponsor

Postby Duckin'soldier » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Hey, I'm born and raised in AZ and am a die hard duck hunter... like these guys have said, there are ducks.. but it's about finding water. Upper horseshoe lake is one of the better spots for ducks.. just take your boat and either cruise the verde river. or, find a good spot to set some dekes early in the morning.
Duckin'soldier
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting