alamo lake

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

alamo lake

Postby had » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:31 pm

been out of state for 4 years and just wondering if anyone has had any success at alamo lake in the past years. not looking for any info other than if its been "good" or "bad" before i drive up there to start my scouting,
thanks
had
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Re: alamo lake

Postby DesertShooter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 pm

I was ther 2 years ago the weekend after thanksgiving. It was too early, only local ducks were locals and they were very wary of us. We bagged a few but chased a lot. I would recommend waiting till late in the year and make sure there have been some good storms up north to push the birds down. Lots of coves so choose wisely!
DesertShooter
Newb

Postby haiwee » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Last year wasn't all that hot -- really takes a good storm up north to move the birds in, and seems we didn't get any bad weather until very late in the season. Also, a major flood a couple of years ago really choked the east end of the lake with a lot of brush; the area is basically unhuntable. Unfortunately, that's where the birds like to go, into pockets of water amidst the brush.

We saw an inordinate amount of spoonies last year -- usually we see a lot more teal. Seems about every other year a flock of honkers take their winters there. Some years we'll see a bunch of canvassback and widgeon as well.

In any case, even with the poor numbers of birds last year I never got skunked; I think my worst day was two birds, and my best was five.

The best hunting is in the coves in the east end of the lake. The more the merrier -- more hunters help keep the birds moving. In fact, the best hunting days are actually blue-bird days when lots of anglers are on the water, chasing the birds from cove to cove. If you like to hunt quail, the northern shore has some good quail hunting. In any case, I would highly recommend Alamo. You can camp and launch right on the shoreline, and the people are nice. My Dad spends his entire winter there (I'm so jealous), and he's a friendly sort who's glad to help. Just ask for a guy named Dutch -- most of the locals will know who he is. Starting the first of October he'll be camped on the south shoreline. I'll be there over Thanksgiving and again in January, when the action is the hottest.
haiwee
hunter

Postby yaaintdeadyet » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:43 am

Hiawee I was at Alamo the 2nd week of October. I didn't see a lot of waterfowl other than small flocks, 3-6, of Spoonbills. Well there was one panhandling Mexican duck with a taste for Carp "bread". We brought my little Porta-bote to scout and fish the river mouths as it can slide into that timber. That timbered East end could hide hundreds of birds without some means of "flushing" them. I'll try to get over there Thanksgiving weekend.Is the shore line pretty crowded over the holiday?
yaaintdeadyet
hunter

Postby haiwee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:39 pm

My Dad was there for the opener and bagged five: three spoonies and two teal. He said it's mostly local ducks right now. They tend to stay in that tangled timber in the east end. If you can somehow burrow in there with a boat there are open areas of water to shoot. What we really need is a really big storm in the Big Sandy and Santa Maria watersheds to send a ton of water into the lake and blow some of that timber out (of course, that would ruin the fishing for weeks). It would also help if the water level was higher.

I'm planning to be there over Thanksgiving weekend as well. I'll be going back on New Years weekend, too. As I've said, the more the merrier to keep the birds moving. In the meantime, I'll be praying for big snow storms in the northwest to drive some birds in.
haiwee
hunter

Postby MIAZquacker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 am

Its been awhile since this post has had any activity, but hopefully someone can give me some info. I am wondering if Alamo is huntable from shore w/chest waders? Haven't taken the jump of buying a boat out here but would like to try get some ducks
MIAZquacker
hunter

Postby rcdinaz » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:22 am

I think it would be tough as there isn't a bunch of driving access to the more remote parts of the lake. Early season you are much better off up north or on one of the rivers where you will catch the early migrating birds such as teal. If you have the time the Colorado River around Yuma is a home run, major migration route.
One of the greatest skills you can develop is the ability to ignore those that annoy you...
rcdinaz
hunter

Postby MIAZquacker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:27 am

Again thanks for the info rcdinaz, much appreciated. Maybe something to try later in the season, especially if i can pick up a cheap boat.
MIAZquacker
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting