how many ??

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

how many ??

Postby KW_.308 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:29 pm

i live on lake margrethe in grayling michigan. what i would like to know is how many diver decoys i should put out and what kind. so far since opening day i have seen bluebills and bufflehead but last year i seen redheads and i think some goldeneyes also.the lake is 1,920 acres. i will be hunting off of a point because i dont have the money to get a layout boat yet. also one more thing...its not the best lake for divers and there isnt great numbers of them and there not rafted up like they would be on say, the saginaw bay or the great lakes. thanks in advance for your input.

-Kevin
KW_.308
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:38 pm

i would put a pod of like 3 drake bluebills, a pod of about 4 goldeneye, and a pod of about 5 bluebills with hens mixed in. id put the goldeneyes and mixed bills' about 10 feet apart, and the other 3 drake bills' about 15-20 feet to the left or right.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Don't be afraid to use your puddler decoys, but a little black in the white never hurt anything, I personally don't think birds key in all that much on specie except a few.Just do trial and error and see what works for you in your area and your hunting situation, I have shot limits of divers over nothing but puddler decoys and vice versa so it is all up to what works and being where the birds wanna be, good luck
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:00 pm

Kevin- I sent you a PM about a hunting partner. Let me know what you think.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:31 am

A buddy of mine hunts a small city lake north of me. It's by now means a diver hotspot but he pulls a few each year. He hunts over a mixed spread of everything from canvasbacks to teal. He keeps the divers semi seperated, but we're talkin maybe 3 feet away to the right. I personally think that when ducks see ducks they don't think about what kind they are. White and black. Those are the colors I'd get out there.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting