New to Diver Hunting~

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

New to Diver Hunting~

Postby 870Hunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:57 pm

Im new to diver hunting and i was just wondering what decoys would be good for a efficent spread and how many of them? Id be hunting on the St.Lawrence River and lake Ontario! IF you knwo of any spots aroudn the Northern New York area that are good id also be interested in finding out! I would like to get some Broadies(Broadbills there not Blue Bills!) Any tips would be apprciated thanks!
870Hunter
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:12 pm

Thats right man, they are broadbill! But, well prolly do some shorelinin over th bluff.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby diver-hunter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:00 am

bluebills is what we use, and about 15-17 of em. it varies depending on where we hunt though. we use all sorts of spreads and different deeks.
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a 4x4.....we can skin a buck and run a trot line & A Country Boy Can Survive....- Hank Jr.

You do your thing, I'll do mine...- Montgomery Gentry
diver-hunter
hunter

Postby DuckHunterChris » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:49 pm

What type of Decoys should i buy...i heard the herters were good but they dont have much detail...also i heard they ride good on the Water?
The carrylites are cheap but i guess a lot of peopele use them what do you think? Any help would be good.....
:cool: Thanks
DuckHunterChris
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:11 pm

I have some carrylite. I think their shape is totally off. Their bodys are too skinny. I tuned them into whistlers for some more blocks on my longline.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby DuckHunterChris » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:30 pm

I dont think itll matter that much from what iv heard tjhy dont have that great of Depth perception.....i think the white will help out!Peace man :smile:
DuckHunterChris
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:04 pm

They are both very nice decoys, and they work equally well. If ya hunt small lakes and rivers, you could get by with 1-2 doz, but when hunting large lakes and open bays..the more the better. For species, just use what ya see the most of.
texan68
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:16 am

if your hunting big water go for the heters they are durable and float better. to save some cash you can buy the do it your self kit( the paint and the unpainted decoys) its lots of fun to paint them yourself and with most divers you don't need the ultra-perfect decoys in fact fro my decoy spred I'm saving up some of my milk jugs.(talk about recylcing, redneck style :thumbsup: ) but I keep throwing away the lids and keeping the contaner( they don't float well when flooded with water :yes: .
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby DuckHunterChris » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:47 pm

Thanks for the addvice im not a great painter but i guess that it wouldnt be to awfully hard to paint up some Cans and Broadies! Good Luck Man

Take Em':-) Chris :thumbsup:
DuckHunterChris
hunter

Postby JoeP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:11 pm

Hello, This is my first post and my first year duck hunting. I love it so far.
Right now we are sea duck hunting (scoters,eider,and old squaw). We are using what we call shadows for decoys and boy do they work! I know it is a different feeling when you are shooting over real decoys, but if you have any 1/4 inch luan plywood laying around make some shadows and
let them do there thing. My cousin just got me into carving decoys. I am still very wet behind the ears but he is a very good carver and he is known for his work from coast to coast. I can wait to shoot over my own decoys. Try the shadows! Paint them black, add some white on the head and wing area and get your gun ready.

Keep shooting. Joe P
JoeP
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting