converting to redheads

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

converting to redheads

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:19 pm

I have some mallard deks that I want to turn into Redheads. Do any of you know the exact (pretty close) color of red is on there heads. I can't find anything close at the hardware store so I thought about bright red then over spraying it with a brown to dull it alittle. Thanks.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Redheads

Postby Dep666 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 pm

I just paint them with that redish brown primer that you would use on a car. I guess a rust color. I paint cans the same way.
Dep666
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:23 pm

Arent the red on the red-heads heads brighter than the red on the canvasbacks head?
T-MAN
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:56 pm

It dosen't matter. The ducks can't tell the difference in shade of red. Just use a redish brown.
texan68
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:19 am

wait a sec there tex ducks can see color lots better then we can (about 300x better) they just arn't that bright the go off instincts you need to get the color close enough to trigger the ducks minded to go "red heads" then get him to come on in to join you for dinner.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:03 pm

I use whatever red I find at the local hardware store, or just layen around the house, and just paint it on, and it works. You gotta think like a duck that doesn’t even have the slightest clue that the ducks that they are about to land with are really decoys. The only thing on their mind is landing and feeding. My redheads have dark and light shades of red, and yet they all work equally well.
texan68
hunter

Postby Blaster » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:06 pm

Cabelas carries the Herter's paint kits for almost any bird that you would need.
Blaster
hunter

Postby poacher » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:45 pm

Heres an idea. To turn a greenhead int a redhead, paint his head red. :umm: just kidding.... i once had a hunter ask me "why do you call him a green head, i said because the duck has a green head. another asked, how did you know it was a redhead, because he has a redhead :laughing:

Look at the manufactured decoys, they are all different shades between brands. Just try to match to the real thing.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting