The finished product

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

The finished product

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:30 pm

Here is a dek I finished. It was a mallard and now it's a red head what do you think. I only lack putting the yellow eyes on. I couldn't find a small thing of yellow. My only concern is that the paint will chip off to easily. Any pointers on keeping the paint on.

openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:00 pm

lookin good :thumbsup:
kyfowler
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:49 pm

nice I painted some decoys the paint has held up well, but they were styrofoam, so I'm not sure what to do with plastic dekes. they look good
always wanted a redhead
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:20 pm

nice! :thumbsup: Theyre carrylite right.
T-MAN
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:41 pm

Painting, especially with latex (oil is nearly as bad), needs to be done a couple months before they hit the water to keep them from chipping. Stuff takes forever to cure out properly, it may seem dry and ready but......... many years of trial and ERROR on my part. ~~ Look like they'll work.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Maggie's Partner » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:40 pm

It also helps to spray them with a dull coat or matt finish--helps thepaint and cuts glare.
Maggie's Partner
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:56 am

Nice job, I agree with Cobra and I do any repaints in the Spring. You can spray them with Krylon matte 1311, it will help cut shine and reduce chipping. Good luck gunning over them.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:48 am

krylon matte finish (I think the can number is 1131) is what I have used over acrylics or latex....as for the eye, unless it is glass, I dab on a couple coats of clear nail polish and it adds a 'ton' of durability

not sure what colors you used, but the head is rather 'red' and the bill is way too aqua.........if you need some simple acrylics you can find them at WALMART for less than a buck......it is worth it to add more realism, however yours bring the birds in close enough to get shooting I think
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 pm

Cobra wrote:Painting, especially with latex (oil is nearly as bad), needs to be done a couple months before they hit the water to keep them from chipping. Stuff takes forever to cure out properly, it may seem dry and ready but......... many years of trial and ERROR on my part. ~~ Look like they'll work.

I with ya cobra.....many years of trial and error on repainting dekes. I usually let mine cure for about a month befor they hit the water.
texan68
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting