Motion Dekes for Divers

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Motion Dekes for Divers

Postby Dep666 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:57 pm

Just watched that sea duck hunting episode of "The best and worst of Tred Barta." Anyone see those wind spinning wing decoys he had? I'm not going to take the word of a guy who pisses in his waders on TV, but Man I wonder if they really do work on divers. In my expierences with divers are they either fully commit or they throw you the stiff wing and keep it movin'. Anybody with input on this?
Dep666
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:17 pm

I dont know about sea ducks. But divers will come to one just like puddle ducks, hit and miss. Some come and some dont.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ggrybas » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:49 pm

Yeah I saw that too. As for the motion decoys I have no idea, but I know his dog was about to drown as he took his sweet time to pick it up!!!!!!!! Good Luck
ggrybas
hunter

T. Barta

Postby Dep666 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 pm

Yea I agree, he did take his sweet time with the dog. Another thing that bothers me is the hunting alone. Not to mention hunting alone in 30-40 mph on the ocean. I know he's supposed to be a pro out in the ocean, but come on. After a near drowning incident a couple of years ago, my "I'm invincible" days are over. I think back at some of the days I actually did go out and hunt. Man was I an idiot! This guy just doesn't have a clue. What good is that Satilite phone or flares gonna do for you when you go overboard and can't get back into the boat(Oh yea by the way your the a$$hole who decided to hunt seaducks alone). Neoprene waders and a life vest. Not a bad idea , just incase they have to find your body cause you died from hypothermia rather than drowning. And the clincher(At least for me) how are you gonna explain to your wife that the dog drown because you couldn't get to him on time? Don't get me wrong, I think Barta is a good guy(I like his no-nonsense approach). I just think he lacks a little in the common sense depatment.
I still like his idea of the spinning divers.
Dep666
hunter

Postby sflem849 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:48 pm

I agree, Tred is an idiot...oh yeah. That is not what this post is about. I think the guy takes too many risks especially on TV. Do you know how many kids could be "learning" from this "donkey"
sflem849
hunter

Postby Phil Eager » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:19 am

Spinning wings work!!!!!! For divers and seaducks. I use two air lucky decoys. I painted them up as drake commons. I place one on the boat and one on a float. The float consists of 1x4 common pine glued and screwed together to create a 36" square. I also have a cross bar centered in the square that has a 12" carrage bolt sticking up thru it. The air lucky pole slides over the bolt. works pretty well thuogh its akward to transport as you can not break it down.
Phil Eager
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 am

Yup they work well for me :thumbsup: .
Oldsquaw hunting on Long Island Sound pictured below. The damm birds try to land on the spinner and I have to remind the guys not to shoot until the target clears the spinner.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:34 am

hahahahahah i was looking up who this Tred Barta dude is, you can find some videos of this idiot slippin on ice and tryin to kill mallards with a bow here
http://www.tredbarta.com/TV.cfm

seems like a first rate D bag
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Phil Eager » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 am

Send some of those sqaws south will you. please don't educate them too much. I'm thinking of taking the on off the boat and making it another floater as I'm started to get them too close. I'll put the spinners where I want them to land which will take the emphisis off the boat.
Phil Eager
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting