Duck Hunting Forum banner

Trip to Canada (pics)

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  pitboss 
#1 ·
Well this past week I was in Canada, we took 4 guys 2 rigs and did 5 days of layout gunning, possible birds to be bagged was 120 we ended the week a few over 100 so not bad, I limited 4 of the 5 days, had some great shoots go my first oldsquaw first time I have ever hunted where they are around and we only saw then on one day and saw 2 flcoks 1 that decoyed me and my buddy double layouts both bagged a hen :pissed: but that was the 6th bird for each of us, species bagged were redheads, cans, oldsquaw, ruddies, buffies, lesser and greater scaup and I think that is it, shot a nice double on redheads something I had yet to do :thumbsup: and took advantage of the redhead limit of 4 up there intstead of 2 here and filled my 4 out one day :smile: Here are some pics from the trip, there were more ruddies and buffs than you could shake a stick at, and in all honestly I could have stayed home and shot all of these birds except the squaw but it was a great trip and good times.Also sunday my first hunt back home I bagged a scoter, my 3rd of my life shot right here on Lake Erie, pretty rare beings we don't get them around here :yes:

See less See more
#6 ·
man, that looks real good. that 3rd picture down with the boat and you guys, the 3rd bufflehead down looks huge! maybee its just the way the head got proped up

#7 ·
Diver I think your talking about that drake buff on the end yeah he was a dandy I almost put him on the wall, almost but I'm to picky.There were plenty of birds up there, mostly buffs and ruddies, some bills and redheads.Here at home we have some birds moving around but like I said in another post, I keep my mouth shut, no offense to anyone but I have seen what the internet can do when loud mouths shoot off it can really ruin some areas.He is a dandy

#9 ·
Well here is the story on some of the mutalated birds, both my buddy and I shoot Benelli's well after 2 days of hunting he is complaining he cannot hit anything past 10-15 yards, but he is a very good shot I assure you, well he checks his choke tube, SUPRISE none in there :eek: Yeah real lucky he didn't gobble anything up if you ask me, so anyhow I had my full choke by Carlsons (love that thing holds great patterns :thumbsup: ) so I let him try it well it wouldn't thread into his M2 so we thought uh oh, so he tried my factory Benelli Mod. and it worked fine, so he didn't screw anything and being the good guy I am I shot full choke from the layout for the last 3 days!Now for those of you who are not familiar in layout shooting most of your shots are very very close, I mean I have shot birds literally feet away.Well the full choke did fine I managed a double on redheads and a few on buffs so I was on with it and not one cripple from that baby but still to tight for the layout.Also sometimes when you have cripples and all but you get them in hand a quick finish is a good donk on teh gunnel of the boat :hammering:

#10 ·
I am from Ontario and I know this place well I hunt it every weekend. I won't mention the name because I know some of you like to keep your spots unposted.
Some of the best diver hunting in Ontario
I am just new to this diver hunting ,but I have hunted puddle ducks here for 20 years.. Congrats on a great hunt
let me know if you coming this way again we can get together for a beer

#11 ·
Kenny I am glad you are respectable of others and what not, although this place is very very well known and lots of guys ecspecially from my area head up regularly, 2 of my buddies went last year and this year we took 4 guys and 2 rigs, we are probably headed up next year same week.Although we are not that far and honestly I was hoping to get into a few more cans and redheads, I really would like to go up and gun a little later personally, when does your season go out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.