what does everyone do with there divers?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

what does everyone do with there divers?

Postby roscoesbuddy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:36 am

i'm curious what everybody does with there divers. some of you guys kill a bunch of them just curious what you guys do with them.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Get'em » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:48 am

here in montana we have to wait for them to move down but once we do we usually have one spot were we just shoot divers and we take usually 4 people out, after we shoot our limits we go back home, fillet the breast meat off and soak it in jerkey seasoning then the next day we stick it in the oven on about 150 degrees until it is done. it makes an awsome snack for you and your dog when sitting in the blind.
Get'em
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:24 pm

we make it into jerky also.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby maddiedog » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Jerky works good for me too. I also like to breast them out and take a meat mallet and pound them flat or close to it. Cut them in half. Then you soak them and thick sliced bacon in hot sauce. I like for about 30 minutes. Wrap the duck and bacon around a hot pepper (optional) and put a bamboo scewer through it. You may want two of them. Toss them on the grill and keep an eye on them. Cook to your liking. It is very good. I cook my puddlers like this as well.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Cook them many ways they aren't as bad as everyone thinks and cans are by far teh best tasting bird I swear!But I have jerkies, sausage, landgjagers, and slim jims made from them at my uncle's meat market, by teh time they go through smoking and brine they taste like deer
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby sparky » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:33 pm

I haven't tried the jerky as yet butwill be doing this week once off work. Cutting soaking them in some water then cut into strips and BBQ with your favorite BBQ sauce works well cooked over low heat!!

sparky
sparky
hunter

Postby benelliduckman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm

We fillet the breasts out and grill them in tinfoil with apple slices, onions, potatoes and butter.
benelliduckman
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Check the recipes forum too. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby 870 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:04 pm

eat them
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:15 am

Merganser /fish stew. :smile: Image
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:19 pm

Pressure cooked until tender then sliced thin and warmed very slowly with some good barbacue sauce. Served on a good BIG onion bun with whatever else you want on it (swiss cheese and mushrooms are great). Serve with wild rice, cole slaw and a cold beer, not a bad way to watch some football or hockey.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby flockrockr72 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:06 pm

Take a picture and throw em in the ditch...j/k. I never used to like eating em until I started smoking all my duck breasts. Taste great. Also like making jerky out of em, too.
.....another hen, ah hell, TAKE ER!!
flockrockr72
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting