need help with diver/puddle rig

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

need help with diver/puddle rig

Postby gunner » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:02 pm

I am going to hunt an area this weekend witch holds puddle ducks and divers any tips on how to set up for both.Ive been told mallards will not fly over another spieces to land is this true?Any help would be great . by the way I have 4 doz mallar deks and 2 doz red heads and 1 doz blue bills . How would you set your rig?
gunner
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Depending on which way the wind was blowing i would set your mallards closest to your blind then the divers further out.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:11 pm

Can't go wrong with a J make the J in the round part near your blind and fill it in with puddlers then strong your divers out, you'll have no problems
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:30 pm

From my experience, they may not land but they sure will bust a move over them offering shots.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby gunner » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:58 pm

HEY I SHOOTDIVERS WERE WOULD YOU PUT THE DIVERS ? OUT FURTHER FROM THE J HOOK OR SIDE WAYS FROM ?
gunner
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:30 pm

when you set up the J, put the puddlers at the bottom part and the divers heading out into deeper water. also have the base of the J up wind . i wouldnt put any decoys out past 40 yards. in my experience the divers dont follow the line very well and tend to land by the outermost decoys (maybe just the way they are around me). when i set up, i put the puddlers and some geese on one side of the blind, then a bunch of divers and black jugs out a little farther and off to the other side of the blind.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:13 am

I just string the divers out into the water like said earlier, if they want to decoy and settle which we have happen often they will come right down the dekes or right into the gut and then you meet them with some steel
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby gunner » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:05 pm

Thanks for the help guys i will post how i made out on sunday.thanks again.

Gunner
gunner
hunter

Postby gunner » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:33 pm

thanks for the help guys but nothing was working in the blind I was in.I guess rule no1 is be were the ducks want to land.[250 more yars away]
I asways wanted to buy a nice blind for my boat maybe now I can justify
it. Thanks for the help though guys.

GUNNER
gunner
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting