Layout Boat anchor question

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

Layout Boat anchor question

Postby lawnboy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:56 pm

Need help with the anchor. I have a mushroom twelve pounded in the back of the layout with a 50 foot line and a eight ponder off the front. I still have problems with the layout breaking free. I’ve narrowed it down. First when the waves are a foot or two and the wind is blowing when we pull up to change out hunters the extra weight of the boat breaks the anchor free. Or if the winds blowing hard and we have the combing up, it must act like a sail.

I was told not to use a fluke anchor do to the fact that they dig in and if a large wave comes by the anchor wont give and the wave will swamp the boat do to its styling.

:help:

lawnboy
hunter

Postby gunner » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:20 pm

use a longer anchor rope.
gunner
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:28 pm

I have heard many guys say don't use danforth anchors and what not because they dig it, but here is what we do we use a fish net anchor, very heavy and is basically 2 hooks, it grabs any bottom no problem and holds fine and we hunt some rough waters and have had no problems for years, the cdowl is there to break teh water off the boat for a reason.We also have a few anchors we made from stainless bar stock that just have 2 spades on them, they weigh only about 10 pounds max but are designed for grabbing, works great for us, don't be afraid to go with an achor that will grab
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:59 am

Ok what is a fish net anchor? I did a search with no luck.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:14 pm

I have no idea as to what a fish net anchor. I did a search with no luck.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:37 pm

The commercial fishing boats the anchors they use are their nets they are like 3 feet or so long and about 1 1/2 foot wide and very heavy, I don't suggest using them, they are bulky and over kill for sure, I'd suggest a 10-15 lb danforth anchor would work fine

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm

Well I’m not sure if I went with the overkill consideration but I got a 30lb mushroom style thats broken into three blades. Wanted to give her a go today but the wind blow all the water out of all the channels.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:48 pm

I have used those with other guys that will work fine, some guys don't like to use an anchor that will grab real tight so if things get real nasty the anchor will let the boat go and not drag it under

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:37 pm

I used it today and it work great…100% over what I had.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:57 pm

just a thoufh bu maybe its a good thing you anchor drags when a boat is pushed aginst you. you don't want your boat to be draged under. I heard of 18 foot skiffs getting dragged under because there anchor got stuck on bottum.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:02 pm

AK that is exactly the thinking and why some guys won't use anything that grabs solid, thus they use mushroom style anchors that with enough force should pull, if it is getting bad enough that the layout will be pulled under thats when it will be time for me to go and get the heck off the water

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:22 am

What really works for me is bungie cords on my anchor lines , long oned like 10' . It stops the boat from kerking on the anchors and if you pull both anckors a little tite it holds the boat alined quite well.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Return to Diver Duck Hunting