Why layout hunting is so much better................

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Why layout hunting is so much better................

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Yes on your back is where it is at, if you have never tried it you really should tryand hook up with someone who does and knows what they are doing, this past weekend I hosted a guy from SE PA he had never layout shot before, he is now hooked, just a few pics from his time
The pic of the spread is all birds that I made for my layout rig, about 30 of the dekes in the spread came from my 2 hands :thumbsup:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:09 pm

nice. when I sea duck hunt we just set up from shore and sit on buckets always wanted to try a layout.
my freind used a layout for geese this past weekend limited out (4) so he was happy.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:37 pm

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

The boat

Postby Dep666 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:44 pm

ISD is that a ufo layout? If it is how do you like it? Being a bigger guy I am looking for an accomidating layout boat. On the website I saw a few big dudes in the boat . Heck of those 300lbers fit , then I should be able to...Great photos by the way..........
Dep666
hunter

Postby pitboss » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:24 am

very nice...

jeff
pitboss
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:13 am

Matt that is a UFO.We have always used MLB's but ended up going to Tony's reps house and checking one of the boats out, at first we didn't think we would like to do it because of the size difference but we changed a bunch of things up and waaa laaa we have been hunting it all year and it works great, the UFO is a little higher from the water but the clear sheild makes the boat invisible, it has nice little options on it like the handles and drain plug those little options really make a world of difference.Don't get me wrong me still have 2 MLB's in the fleet but I bought a UFO and I am totally satisfied and Tony is great with customer service.Here is a pic ofteh boat in action, if you got any questions or specifics PM me

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:35 pm

I use the UFO also and I weigh in at about 300lbs at 6’1”. I couldn’t even get into a MLB I was just to big. I love mine and I even have room to move around. I did have a problem with the drain plug leaking but Tony sent me a new one and she work like a gem. Also like stated above make sure you get the clear shield.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:50 pm

Atta boy lawnboy, this is our first season gunning from the UFO and definitly love it, my new boat should be done this week or so, maybe just in time to kill a few ducks this year in my second split :thumbsup:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:08 pm

So, are layout blinds little boats that you lay in while floating in the water? They sound scary to me, but it looks like they work...
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:14 pm

The definition of a true layout boat to me is that right there, often times you'll here of guys refer to layout hunting boats such as Cartsens boats, sneak box style boats, Otter boats and what not, but true layout shooting consist of layout on your back out in the open water anything from a few hundred yards to miles from shore in as rough of water as you feel comfortable and your equipment can handle where the birds will still want to be all the while getting water/ice/snow/rain splashing on you as you rock in the chop and let birds come in your face literally feet away and then you sit up and unleash hell on em shooting at a ball of feathers flying up to 70 MPH yeah buddy that's layout hunting.Here is a little quote I read somewhere that I absolutely love!

"Ioditerod Athletes, Polar Explorers, Eskimo's & Layout Hunters....a breed apart from the rest!"
Need I say more :getdown:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

ISD

Postby Dep666 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Bro Ive hunted out of a Beuseck(SP?) and man I loved it. I explain to people that its really fun, BUT......that first time the tender boat leaves you and all you hear is waves and wind.......OH BOY! Man you couldn't pull a tooth pick out of my *** with a bulldozer. Can you say PUCKER FACTOR? :thumbsup: Anyway I love the "In yo face" shooting.... Thanks for all the helpful info on those UFO boats.....Might just have to look into it further in the spring....Good luck my man.....
Dep666
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:02 am

Good luck to you let me know if you got any other questions

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Layout » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Shhhhhhhhhhh ISD.

-you're lettin' the cat out of the bag :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:00 pm

It's okay most don't have the means or the you know what to do it plus layout hunting involves big water no need to crowd I mean heck anyone with a 16' boat and $1000 in a layout shooter these days :yes:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting