add divers to spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

add divers to spread

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:10 am

i was wondering what would be the best way to add a few diver decoys to the spread. i was thinking about geting a dozen bluebills. we dont see alot of them but we see enough.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby slowgo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:26 am

Mid and Late season I throw some bluebills out whenever we hunt open water. Proves effective, over thanksgiving had a greenwing teal and redhead fly in over them.
slowgo
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31 am

do you just mix them in or put them seperate.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Run them in a straight line or 2 of the main "head" of your spread the divers will normally shoot right down the back of them and settle right in the front or keep on goin
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm

thanks ishootdivers
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:42 pm

:thumbsup: Shoot em up! :yes:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:52 pm

i killed my first bluebill sunday. locked right up into the mallard decoys.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:54 pm

:thumbsup:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby slowgo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:35 pm

I put a line of about 7 out deeper 25-35 yards, left or right of my mallards depending on the wind. Any diver that flys in will settle near the back of the line so you can get by with closer shots by moving the rear bird nearer to you. Make sure you get them in a fairly straight line and seperate them about 6ft apart.
slowgo
hunter

Postby DiverExecutioner » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:12 am

Diver ducks tend to look to land in a vacant pocket, if they should fly up the line then stop (shorstopping), they're wary. I almost always rig my dekes in a "J"/fishhook or a "V". Remember to reinforce the head of the rig, upwind side with a blob. Then have your trailing lines, or feeder line extending out about 30-40 yards.
DiverExecutioner
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 pm

anyways about buying bluebills, definately do... we usually can get a loner to come into our other dekes but not very often... anyways we decided we needed more variety and went and bought a dozen GHG. used them for the first time today, and it was frikin crazy... every flock of bluebills that came up the river swirled and circled around them to check them out... we had flocks of like 20-30 go around a couple times (which is a lot of bluebills for up here)... unfortunatly i wasnt shooting too well today, but we did get a few... but anyways the moral of the story is that bluebill dekes work great in addition to your normal spread... you must buy some today :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 pm

so do you run the lines perpindicular to you with a blob closest to you or parallel to you with a blob at one end?

I have 2 dozen GHG bluebills. How many should I put in each line?
frazier2209
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Don't put to much thought into it just make a "head" of your spread then run a few lines out into the water with the wind off 1 side or both sides, use as many as you'd like I personally am a bigger fan of the J then the U, I even rig my layout out as a J most often

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:21 pm

in all honesty, we dont use lines... we just use blobs... decided to try it one day and it seems to work as well if not better then having lines to follow and whatnot... we used to have everything planned out on where they would land, but the wind always changes direction for us and the ducks always landed in the blobs, so we said screw it and just tossed out 3 or 4 blobs of a dozen or so... no more doing lines or landing zones or anything... but thats just us north idaho hicks... we always were a little different than everyone else : :cool:.. and we are also hunting from shore and not a layout boat so that might make a difference too
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:27 pm

I put out singles in a seperate group from my mallards. I like my mallards on the left with a deep pocket infront of my blind then I step off about 10-20 feet and start my divers. I get the first one about 15 foot off the bank and then stagger them out to about 25 yards running left to right.(kinda like this / ) Then I fill in making my deep U shape. I found the divers will either come down the U or down the bank . Oh and I always stagger with the wind.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting