New to hunting Divers

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

New to hunting Divers

Postby elsnide » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:47 pm

I live in the Kansas City area and have been hunting the Kansas River after the freeze for the past two years. The only ducks I ever see while hunting the Kansas River are mallards and Goldeneyes. During my two years of hunting the river I have fallen in love with Goldeneyes. The first year I was only able to get some pass shots as nothing ever decoyed on my mallard spread. The second year I bought a 1/2 dozen goldeneye decoys and it made a huge difference. Goldeneyes decoyed my spread on a regular basis and it was much more enjoyable to shot them over the decoys compaired to pass shooting. I have recetly acquired another 1/2 dozen goldeneye decoys and am planning to have 12 mallards 12 goldeneyes and 4 Canada geese in my spread. I would like to have more but its walk in hunting and I can only carry so many along with my lay out blind.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone have any tips on setting up my goldeneye decoys along with my mallards? (General Placement and etc)

2. Do goldeneyes ever respond to any type of call?

3. Why am I only seeing goldeneyes? Do other types of divers not use rivers in late season or am I too far south?
elsnide
hunter

Postby elsnide » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:03 pm

forget question 1. I read more on this site and think the question of decoy placement with a mallard / diver mix has bee answered.

elsnide
hunter

Postby duckhunter6 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:00 pm

to answer your question to number three. today me and my dad went hunting on a river we own property on. theres some open water but other then that mostly all ice.. we shot our limits in about two hours :thumbsup:
Hunting for divers is a true mans hunt..
duckhunter6
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:46 pm

Question one just blob your mallards near shore and run your goldies out maybe do a few off to the side mix it up see what teh birds like, number 2 I wouldn't waste teh air to call at em, we don't call at divers but if you really wanna a simple bbbuuurrrtttttt in a mallard call shall do, question 3 I am sure you get other divers if you are seeing goldies, I am not sure I don't live there.Either way see what the birds like and be where they wanna be most imporant good luck shoot em up :thumbsup:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting