Goldeneyes

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Goldeneyes

Postby elsnide » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:54 am

Do goldeneyes respond to duckcalls? If so what kind?
elsnide
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:13 pm

We never call for them, but I do believe goldies are one of very few birds who actually prefer to be with their own kind, so if you wanna gun em make sure you got some goldie blocks out there, I like to keep my all together somewhat away from everything else, if you really feel a need to call at them try a diver call or a simple mallard call with a bbbrrrrrtttttttt
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:18 pm

we don't call for GE but what we do is throw rocks into the decoys. the splash
gets there attion. we've pulled many in that way.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby elsnide » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:18 pm

that's really interesting.... this is my 2nd year using goldeneye decoys on the river and I love it. I have 1/2 mallards 1/2 goldeneye and a few geese.
elsnide
hunter

Postby CANBACK KILLER » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:12 pm

We dont even shoot at Golden Eyes, too many other birds around, But some guys just use a diver call & blow burrrrrr. :cool:
Let `em work & Don`t kill `em if ya don`t Eat `em
CANBACK KILLER
hunter

Postby elsnide » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:12 pm

The only reason I might not shoot at a goldeneye is because they can be a bitch to clean. Their skin just doesnt want to come off. Late season here I only have mallards and goldeneyes. There have many days when is almost all goldeneyes. I just love to watch ducks fly and shoot. I'll take what I can get.
elsnide
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:25 pm

I think ya'll is crazy goldies are one of my favorite birds hands down how can you not love em definitly beauties and almost like they have an attitude about themselves and to hear the whistling come before you can see them often times man I love it

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby elsnide » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:38 pm

This is only my 3rd year hunting them and I am still seeing new things. Last year I was hunting on a 5 degree crystal clear day. I found one little spot on the river that had an open hole close to shore. I wasnt getting much action as most ducks were south of us. I looked up and say a goldeneye high and almost directly above my spread. This duck took what seemed to be almost a straight decent downward right into my decoys. I was such an amazing sight I didnt even fire the gun. Ive never seen any duck drop so straight down before. Is this at all common?
elsnide
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:42 am

Happens all to often if you know what your doin' :thumbsup:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:25 pm

I had one come into mallard decoys this weekend didn't even call and it came right in and then went right down! But no i didn't even see him until he was cupped up and then i nailed him.
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:52 pm

I love to hunt them when there's a fog on the water you can't see them, but you can hear them coming. Then all of a sudden BAM their winging through the dacoys. you better be on your toes :toofunny: OH YAAAAA BRING IT COCK BIRD the old 870s a waiten, you have a date with the widow maker :hammering:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:34 am

870 I sense your enthusiasm, now if it were only season here :pissed:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby DiverExecutioner » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:22 pm

Whistlers are what I've been calling them since I've been hunting them. We do not even call at any divers, if we do we call with our mouth saying burrrrr, burrrr, burrrr.... Also, they do only tend to decoy to their own kind, however, we've killed them over butterball dekes.
DiverExecutioner
hunter

Postby Goldeneyebuster » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:02 pm

i believe they whistle !!!from my experience i've heard them big drakes whistle as they are comin in gettin ready to splash down!!!
"Aim for their toenails"
Goldeneyebuster
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:47 pm

:welcome: aboard Goldeneyebuster glad to have with us. this is a great site, tons of cool people here and lots of info to meet your needs. hope to be hearing from yah :thumbsup: Later man
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby foggyhunt » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:21 pm

im in alaska 2 yrs now and the first time I hunted alone on the Kenai river below a lake, it turned into my first day of ever hunting in snow. It was coming down nice and i was in awe of just finally being in alaska and hunting in real weather as I grew up in CA. Seems almost every hunt day in AK would be a great weather day in California. Anyway, the goldeneyes are the perfect duck to hunt when you need to take a leak, poor the coffee or lite up a cigar. you can hear them coming. I enjoyed shooting them that day and on another day, an Eagle swooped down and picked off 2 downed ge. It was funny, my lab just made a u turn and headed back for the boat.

The first goldeneye I shot happen to be a very good one, big, colorful with full plumage and it sits on the coffee table. gotta love their bills. they sure stink up the kitchen if you don't bake them right. i didn't overcook, but they stink. :thumbsup:
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby Billblue » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 am

It's their wing's you hear whistle. Hence the nickname Whistlewing.
Billblue
hunter

Postby woodie » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:42 pm

Hey Guys,,,I've ben Hunting WHISTLERS on Lake Ontario since I was 16
I'm 56 now,,lol,,lol,,Goldeneyes are alot of fun to hunt,,,I find with the warmer climate there not getting to the bigger Lakes till very late November,,,Whistlers are a test to a Duck Hunters dseire to hunt,,
Not very many Duck Hunters want to contend with the Cold,,,Icy Waters
Frozen clothes,,,IImage
t's still a blast for me
Duck Hunting,,It's a Passion,,
woodie
hunter

Postby Billblue » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:23 am

HI Woodie,

I' also noticed in my area their getting later,even to the point not tell season end.

To me the cold,snow,and ice is what makes it great.
Billblue
hunter

Postby woodie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Hey billblue,,, Whistlers like it mean,,,, Colder the better,,,Global warming,
It's THE reason why WHISTLERS don't arrive till very late here,,
We see them in January in the Thousands,,,, Seriosly their all over the place,,,,however we still go out to hunt them in the season,
Because were WHISTLER hunters,,lol,,lol,,,

Woodie
Duck Hunting,,It's a Passion,,
woodie
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:45 pm

First let me take my hat off to you boys, I’m glad to see there are some other serious Whistler hunters around here. As a very young boy my dad had to take me, you see he didn’t like to work during hunting season. So if he wanted to go he had to take me, or mom would of kicked his butt.

I can still remember sitting on some God forsaken shoal or island watching him put the smack down on the Whistlers. It seems like yesterday when he would leave me to watch the decoys and he would sneak over to troll in Canadian waters for Muskies.

Today someone would call that child abuse but to me it was a great time. I look back and see the love of Whistler hunting being burned into my heart.

One question boys in the spring do you find yourself sneaking down to the water when the Whistlers come back and just enjoy watching them? I like to sneak as close as I can when they’re diving next to the docks.

Whistlers will always be on the top of my list of ducks to hunt. I guess it’s part of who I am, it’s in my blood. :thumbsup:
State Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:27 pm

I know what you mean 870. Luckily I work around Cayuga Lake. In the spring I have to swing by that north end at least once a week to watch the divers. My binocs travel with me from fall all the way through the end of turkeys in May. This spring I tried my hand at photographing some whistlers and scaup. However the results weren't that great. But it was fun. I'll have to give it a shot again in 2007.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Cant wait till whistler hunting this year :thumbsup:
T-MAN
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:43 pm

(thanksgiving break, If you know what i mean 870 :toofunny:
remember those knuckle heads )
T-MAN
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:44 pm

(thanksgiving break, If you know what i mean 870 :toofunny: )
T-MAN
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting