dogs and diver lines

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

dogs and diver lines

Postby roscoesbuddy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:37 pm

hey guys this has been a big yr for roscoe he had his first retrieve and is doing well but has a problem with going around our diver lines he tries to go right through it to pick up ducks and gets tangled i'm curious how i train him he can't go through the line.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Dogs and diver lines

Postby Dep666 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Well first off how long are the leads from the decoys to the clips on the main lines? I keep mine about 3 ft. I alos use line that sinks very easily. That gives the dog plenty of room to swim over the lines. Now if you hunt from shore the trick might be not to send the dog until the bird is clear of the dekes ( by wind or current). Dogs learn in patterns and after a few times , he will realize that he's not supposed to retrieve the birds in the dekes.
Dep666
hunter

Postby DiverExecutioner » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:07 am

Rig each decoy on its own line, that is the way I've been doing it for 28 years.
DiverExecutioner
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:49 pm

I run 3ft of line fron dacoy to clip, thats plenty of line so as not to get your dog in a mess. My clips are 5in long plenty heavy to weight my line streight down to my long line. :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby 10 ga. » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:44 am

24" drops are long enough for most dogs to clear . 120 tarred line sinks also you dont want to go to long on your drops dogs can get tangled in those to unless you use Znapz ,nothing gets tangled on those.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Return to Diver Duck Hunting