Longlining disadvantages

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Longlining disadvantages

Postby 10 ga. » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:37 am

What are the dissadvantages to longlining your decoys . I have been hunting for a while now with longlines and I can't find any dissadvantage to doing it .Its faster so I can set more decoys Tangles are nonexistant and moving your spread is as simple as grabing on to a couple of anchors .What do you think the cons are and why dont more people use this system.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:25 am

We used to use them but now we never ever do, we just prefer the look of singles, we only used them for layout gunning and personally I just do not care for the look of them
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 pm

10ga, that’s a good question, I’ve heard it said, “It doesn’t look natural” personally I love them. I use anywhere from 1-4 depending where I’m hunting. I’m sure you have noticed that divers try not to fly over land, and when rafted up they will not fly over other birds they fly up lanes to the head of the rafts, and to the outside of the rafts. So for them to fly up your long lines it’s very natural for them.

Also, some don’t like them for fear that their dog is going to get hung up in the lines. Well maybe with some of the store bought kinds I could see that happening. When there’s just the decoy, snap swivel, then the long line. I have 3ft of drop line between the snap swivels, and decoys Max swims through it OK.

I like to use the ol J-Hook, but when I have an off shore wind what I like to use is. Place your hand on your desk there, spread your fingers, your fingers are my long lines your palm is my singles, and your wrist is my boat. When they come up those lanes, all you do is point and shoot. TO EASY, just to dog gone easy
:salude:
Last edited by 870 on Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby contender27 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:44 pm

The one problem I have seen with them is when hunting with dogs. They get tangled if they are not trained well.
contender27
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:49 am

My dog swims right through them cause my drops are 24" and 18" . When hunting puddlers I used to go to great pains to make my lines not strait but it didnt seem to make a difference to the birds they still come right in lines or no lines.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby Lundman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:50 am

There are no disadvantages to using long lines that I can see. I am a sea duck outfitter ( eiders, scoters,old squaw ) here on the coast of Maine and I use them daily. My boats are rigged so at the end of the hunt when you take up your rigs, they are already to go out the next morning. No tying anchors on and snapping on decoys. Use only sinking rope for your main bed line ( here we use 3/8ths or 5/16ths 6 tread rope same as on lobster traps) on my gangons I use 1/4in. sinking rope with longline clips to the decoy. I make these 36 inches long. This allows the main line to sink and bag. This way no dog has any problem with getting caught in the rig. As for the rig not looking natural we always set our rigs like a crows foot and then take a few singles and scatter them on the ouside of the rig and a couple in the holes in the crows foot. This works extremely well for our sea ducks, it breaks up the lines and gives the apperrance of more birds... This is only one mans opinion but give it a try and see what you think.
Lundman
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:08 pm

So do you guys use anchors at both ends? I put my divers on gang rigs that I made myself, but with only one anchor so they shift with the wind.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Lundman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Clutch, yes we anchor both ends of the rigs. When you make your gangons ( we make ours 36 in. ) they will swing with the wind on the main line or with the tide. We attach the gangon on to the main line by tucking it threw the rope and then put a rolling hitch in it. If you use 36 in. gangons then place them every 6ft. apart, that way when they swing they will never tangle.
Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky.
Lundman
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting