new to diver/layout hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

new to diver/layout hunting

Postby run-n-gun » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:14 pm

curious too what one would need to hunt divers on big water, such as lake erie and pymatuning res. in pa. i have a 16' war eagle for river and lake hunting. i guess i could use this as my tender boat. i also looked at four rivers layout boats. basicially what i am asking is what would i need to get started
run-n-gun
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:00 pm

What kind of hunting do you want to do, shoreline, layout......?Then decide how crazy are ya, I personally think mod-vs and flatbottoms don't belong on big water unless they are big, ecspecially if layout gunning.If you want to layout gun check out mightylayoutboys.com waterfowl-works.com there are a few manufacture builders of layouts, many make their own, it all depends
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:52 pm

well, decoys.......I would say anywhere from 2-10 doz and a layout boat. If you wanna use longlines, you will have to buy all of the necessary equipement for that.
texan68
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:29 pm

Your safety out there must be on the forefront of your mind. A cell phone is a must, I’m sure you already have one. You need a good first aid kit, also a good toolbox. Charts of the water, depth finders are a must. Million candle power spotlight (I have two in my boat) A change of clothes when it’s real cold, if you get wet.

Up here where I hunt, late in the season there are only a handful of boats in the water during hunting season. Help isn’t a minute away. I can’t screw up, and if I do, I have to first count on myself to get me home. You better have a dependable motor! I don’t hunt with a lot of guys mostly my boys and a close friend. They know how to drive, and handle my boat in all kinds of weather that’s a must!

Sometimes hunting big water can consist of, driving along the shoreline to your favorite bay or point to hunt. Also you might have to travel a long distance over open water to hunt. Keep in mind that most of this is done in the dark, your safety is important. This isn’t a complete list by no means, I’m sure others will add to it.

I’m not trying to turn you off from it, but you did ask. Once you’ve been bitten by the big water bug, that’s it man your hooked. I live for big water hunting, nothing IMO compares to it. Have fun man; it’s a great way to hunt ducks. I have a ton of things I would like to share with you, if you like just PM me and I will give you my PH# :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting