Goldeneyes

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Goldeneyes

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:58 pm

The other day I seen a goldeneye (my first ever) but didn't get it. Then yesterday I had one bomb in and come to the deks at 25 yards and after three shots with #2 hevi all I got was three white feathers floating down to the water. Then today I had one blow threw the deks at 100 mph. I seen him look down at the deks and then keep going, he was that close. What in the hell does it take to get one of these suckers to land in your deks cause it looks like that's the only way I am going to kill one. Send me a meganser, teal, bufflehead, ringer, or bill at the same distance, same speed, and I can knock the beek off that sucker, but not one of the most prized ducks around these parts. That's my 30 point buck.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Get'em » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:15 pm

we get them in pretty thick up here in montana and it is a blast i was out today and shot two of them i was hunting a river with mallard and pintail decoys. I think the pinny dekes is what there were liking. I also had a Lucky Duck out and both of them came in just like mallards in early season. I would have to guess the black and white is what they were seeing. Try using pinny's or i bought a doz. mallard dekes from walmart for $19 and just painted them black and white they work awsome. Hope that helps
Get'em
hunter

Postby tony w » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:44 pm

go to bbs. if they sit there harder to kill.run your stinger line at you, so your getting incomming shot
tony w
Newb

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:15 pm

I honestly believe goldies are about the only bird that are species specific and prefer their own kind, to many times have I shot goldies that have tried to settle in with only 2 or 3 goldie dekes out, I honestly believe they like their own kind.Get yourself a few goldie dekes, works for me
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:40 am

Ishootdivers what is the best goldie dek (realistic) in your book? I have been told that same thing as well, that they like to set down with there own kind.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:22 am

Most likely you hit that whistler in the butt. If you would have hit it hard with hevi it would have fallen dead. Whistler's are tough no doubt, but if you are on them you can drop them with steel. I have some herters decoys that I painted up into goldeneye and they work well. They are mallard bodies repainted with the herters goldeneye head. Not the most realistic in the world but they look good and show well (model 72). I also have some carrylite goldeneye and they don't look bad for the money. Goldeneyes tend to like to decoy to their own kind.

Toledo decoys makes a nice goldeneye as does E allen if you are looking for something dead on.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:13 pm

Mike is dead on Toledo Decoys, Tom makes great dekes and they are tough, might cost ya a little but well worth it.There really aren't many big name companies that make goldies, but there are some.I prefer my own

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby duckhunter6 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:11 pm

He in mid-Michigan you get pretty tired of the goldeyes. any given day you and a couple buddies can go shoot limits of beautiful mature drake goldies :thumbsup:
Hunting for divers is a true mans hunt..
duckhunter6
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:50 pm

yeah today i got a goldeneye that landed with my bluebill dekes... so i dunno how species specific they are.....
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:51 pm

Go out and shoot goldeneyes over big water for a few years, keep your goldeneye decoys in a group, still in the spread but together, then you can tell me how specific they are, 9-10 times they will try and set right in with em

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:14 pm

Well of course if you have goldeneye decoys in your spread they are going to land with their own kind. We have mallards in our spread, the mallards land with them.. We have bluebills in our spread, bluebills land with them.. We have widgeons in our spread.... you guessed it, the widgeons always land with the widgeons. Amazing. To me, goldeneyes are the same as any other. Yesterday we had 2 goldeneye land right in our spread without any goldeneye decoys, but in the bluebills.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:35 pm

Casey you are missing the point here hoss, I have shot every kind of fowl that is in my area and a few that were lost on their migration in my area, do you think I put each of these species in my spread, no.People give ducks more credit than they deserve, (yes I respect birds and the game I pursue don't go there) but ducks aren't that bright and really ducks see ducks and they go with ducks, they don't really care who's all at the party.My layout rig is all drakes accept for maybe 6 hens out of 60 decoys at times.Do you think birds flare from it or don't join because there are no ladies around, no once again.I am just telling you that of all the birds I have chased over the years goldies are more likely to want to give you a serious look and possibly light into your spread, right with the dekes if their own kind are around.I have shot puddlers over nothing but divers dekes, I have shot divers over nothing but puddle duck dekes but I honestly believe as a majority having goldie dekes in your spread will help you shoot goldies, just because you had 2 want into your mallards doesn't impress me or want me to change my mind

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:45 pm

I think you're confused "hoss". I didn't say that all species only land with their species. I was saying that goldeneyes don't ONLY land with their own species. I was making a point that just because goldeneyes land in your goldeneye decoys, doesn't mean that they wouldn't have landed there if there weren't any goldeneye decoys. I guess you just don't really understand what I'm trying to say. O well.. i don't really care.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:32 pm

You both are right, come on guys it's Christmas :toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:28 pm

Think we're into a regional thing, again. Simply know that they react differently on/between small, medium and larger bodies of water as well as rivers within a 75 mile radius of my house. Only right answer is what works best for you.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:35 pm

Cobra hit it on the head, I agree with him, Oh yeah Enjoy

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

nice rig

Postby tony w » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:30 pm

just curious if you hunt mitchells bay on st clair at all?
tony w
Newb

Postby Lundman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:00 am

Whistlers are great fun to gun. We shoot a ton of them here on the coast of Maine. We have taken alot of them over Eider rigs, so I think it's the black and white that they are seeing for we have shot a good many of these birds over bufflehead tollers as well. Again I think it's the color.
Lundman
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:38 am

I think the black and white is definately what they're seeing. We've had them decoy into bluebills before.
Some days I think ducks only want to sit w/ their kind, and some days they don't descriminate :mrgreen:
Duck U 2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting