wind problem

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

wind problem

Postby NCduckSlayer » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:13 pm

what kind of spread do you guys put out while hunting divers when the wind is variable? I normally try to use the u, v, and j patterns but when the wind switches around frequently it messes up the spread a little and the ducks seem like they cant land because they come in with the wind. what should i do to resolve this problem with the wind? :help:

thanks,
Daniel
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:39 pm

Are you running just singles or singles and long lines?
Last season I had the wind switch four times on me in less than two hours. It started NE and ended up out of the South.

My long lines weren’t a big deal, I ran out with my boat, and moved the end decoys so they faced the wind.

Then I just waded out and stared throwing my singles, to keep the shape that I wanted, witch was a teardrop. I like teardrops when the wind wants to play games. :thumbsup:

You have to do the nasty, and move the spread. As much as we hate the thought of it, it hast to be done.

Four times in one hunt sucks, :pissed: but we saved the hunt. I have no problem with getting up and moving to a new spot if need be, if I know the birds aren’t working where I’m at.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby NCduckSlayer » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:48 pm

I just have all singles. I am working with about 5 doz divers decoys and didn't know if that was enough to worry with the longlines. I have never tried it but i might after this past weekend. Its kind of a screwy way of doing things where i have to hunt because the city regulates the hunting and you have to draw for blinds and which ever blind i get is the one i am stuck with and i cant move to a different blind nor hunt anywhere else but the blind (must be in the blind or a fine to pay) So i cant move spots. There is not many hunting places around the area that i live in so i have to make do with what i got.
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:58 pm

You will find that there is no faster way of putting out and picking up, long lines are great. It sounds like you have enough decoys for where you’re at with all those regs that must suck. Sorry to hear what you have to put up with.

Split your decoys any way you like, my self I would run 3doz on long lines and single the rest. That way when the wind switch’s on ya it’s easier to switch your spread
:thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby NCduckSlayer » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:16 pm

that sounds great. Im going to give that a try. Yeah, it really does suck. this past sat had a guy hunting in a blind about 300 yards away and he hid his boat about 50 yards away from our blind :pissed: Its so frustrating but i deal with it. We normally get a few birds but nothing really good. Im still new to it. this is my 4th year so im still trying new things and seeing what works (mostly trial and error). but i have seen a little improvement in the amount of ducks we have shot and had decoy. Thanks a million for the help
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:54 pm

just keep thinking out side the box you will do fine :thumbsup:

as for the help, any time my man :salude:
State Moderator

ncduckhunter

Postby tony w » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:38 pm

i run about 175 blocks and hate to see them in lines. we put them in a group and run 2 stringers simulating birds swimming into raft. if wind changes just move the 2 stringers and your huntint
tony w
Newb

Postby NCduckSlayer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:18 pm

do you put 175 singles out??? bet that takes a while
NCduckSlayer
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting