decoy spread

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

decoy spread

Postby t-ville » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:52 pm

here's the deal:
i live in southwest GA but i have a beach house in northwest florida and in the winter we see a lot of ducks out there. ive never hunted them but i've seen them while i was heading out to go grouper fishing. the majority or the ducks i've seen are bluebills, buffleheads, and readheads with some others mixed in as well. next season im planning on doing a lot of hunting on the ocean and was wondering just how many decoys i should use. right now i own about 2-1/2 dozen decoys...12 of which are bluebills. i was thinking of buying several dozen of the greenhead gear "hotbuy" mallards and painting them to look like bluebills. i was just wondering how many decoys i should go out and if it would be more worthwhile to buy actual bluebill decoys instead of painting mallard decoys to look like them.
t-ville
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:20 pm

done the hot buy thing with a couple decoys and we kill divers over thm all the time. Just sting them out 20 yards out in line with the bank and keep the gun reddy. good luck
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby Mikeguard01 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:20 pm

The more decoys you have the more birds you will pull in. I have gotten by with just a dozen in the past. The blindsite I have this year is next to a cove that has been packed with Bluebills. I'm using 5 dozen it's just enough to get a few birds my way. They pass me just in gun range and then pitch right in to the cove. With a limit of 2 it's working out great .Painting the mallards works pretty well that's all a friend of mine uses it's a lot cheaper.

Mike01
Mikeguard01
State Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:00 pm

Buy the bill decoys, if your not seeing any mallards, you might as well save the time and money and buy the divers.
hankrt
hunter

Postby t-ville » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:06 pm

the "hotbuy" mallards are good decoys and for $20/dozen you cant beat them. on the other hand, the cheapest bluebills i've found per dozen were 55$. i was thinking about buying 3 dozen hotbuy's and painting them to look like bluebills and redheads and then buying 1-2 dozen of the real thing.
t-ville
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:13 pm

That should save you some money. Divers will decoy to almost anything white. I remember when I first got started I shot divers over set out milk cartons!!!
hankrt
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:51 pm

you dont even need to bother with the actual blackhead decoys, just get more hotbuys with that money. as far as detail goes just paint a 4 -6 inch white stripe in the middle of the decoy and the front and back black. just flat paint and it should be fine. make sure to clean the decoys with a wire brush and soap before you paint so the paint adhears better. :thumbsup:
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:45 pm

If you are where the ducks want to be, you have more than enough decoys. I hunt similar conditions to what you will be doing (south TX coast), and we use anywhere from 2-4 doz bills, and pull in ducks like you wouldn't believe. Number one rule to waterfowl hunting LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:40 pm

i have hot buys painted as buffleheads and blue bills. they work great.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Postby t-ville » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:48 pm

the area i plan on hunting is a stretch of flats that has areas of exposed grass and sandbars. ive seen lots of buffleheads and bluebills but its hit or miss. ive never hunted the area, but ive rode around and scouted the area before to get an idea of where the ducks were holding. i was thinking of buying 1-2 dozen bills and another 2 dozen hotbuys and painting them. i may even just get 1 dozen bills and a dozen reds. i'll just have to see i guess.
t-ville
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting