GHG vs. CARRYLITE

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

GHG vs. CARRYLITE

Postby t-ville » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:05 pm

i'm looking to buy several dozen bluebill decoys and ide like to know from experience which brand i should go with. the difference in cost is $4. so thats not really my concern. what im interested in is which is going to last me more seasons and bring in more ducks.
t-ville
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:21 pm

I would go with the ghg. Carry-lite has the reputation of having really bad paint. I like the colors and the shape of the ghg. If you want a cheaper rout to get more decoys out there you could always paint your own. I painted 2 dozen bluebills for around $40 this year. The hot buys in cabelas are only $19.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:15 pm

i love GHG decoys. I have the bluebills and they look great. But you might want to look at some G&H decoys. I hunted over some of these decoys the other day that where over 7 years old and looked like new. And these were owned by a guide. I thought it was amazing. I still love my 3 year old GHG that haven't lost much paint.
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:36 pm

I have had my carrylite for close to 5 seasons now, and the paint has held up better than any other brand (Herters, GHG, G&H, etc). They really are great decoys, and they DO hold their paint. With that said, if I were you, I would buy Herters 72. The paint holds up very well, and they really are cheap, when compared to other magnum decoys. I think they are around $85 per doz at Cabelas. Thats less than what you would pay for a doz standard G&H.
texan68
hunter

Postby Lundman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Do your self a favor and buy carry-lite
"Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky"
Lundman
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:41 pm

Sorry guys.... GHG all the way.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby flylineguide » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:59 am

Greenhead gear everytime!
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:57 pm

here is part of my GHG Bluebill Rig.

i have sold off all of my other decoys and have gone completely with GHG i hunt hard and have not had an issue with any of their products to date..
Rowdy
hunter

Postby duck plugger » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:30 am

Greenhead Gear
duck plugger
Newb

Postby fowllust » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:59 pm

Don't bother with either. GHG looks great but paint job on decoys especially the new cans and red heads stink. The paint on my decoys is flaking off. :pissed: I'm looking for another brand
fowllust
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:03 pm

i would go GHG out of those. got 6 carry light blackheads and the paint is coming off and all of them are leaking alot of water and havent been shot. i have some GHG hotbuys and wigeon and they have held up great
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby suskiedrake » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Depends on where and what type of water your hunting? I love the GHG dekes alot but I didnt have luck with them in current I went with herters 72's and they eat the chop and current well gang rigged. However the GHG blocks are incredibly life like and do a great job on the calm waters. But thats my 2 cents worth anyway.
Jayson Wilt
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff
Team Strait Meat
suskiedrake
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:01 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:28 pm

I'm torn between GHG...........and GHG?? :getdown: :mrgreen:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby marsh shooter » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Go with GHG much better than carry-light
marsh shooter
hunter

Postby Duck U 2 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:29 pm

It seems like carry lite has stepped up their quality over the years. I have some mallard and teal dekes that are 15 (or more) years old, and they flaked off immeadiately. Flambeau was the ticket back then.
Now a days Flambeau's are awfull, and carry lite seem to be a decent deke.

I say they're all going to work for the most part. I've got all sorts of brands, and I still have great hunting.
-Duck
Duck U 2
hunter

Postby DUCKCUTR » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:23 am

fowllust wrote:Don't bother with either. GHG looks great but paint job on decoys especially the new cans and red heads stink. The paint on my decoys is flaking off. :pissed: I'm looking for another brand

Amen! Got a dozen GHG redheads and put 5 coats of clear finish over top of them to help hold the paint after my experiences with their teal (horrible). After 2 hunts, they are already chipping. I took a chance on the reds because i have 2 doz. GHG widgeon (also with 5 coats of clear finish) that have held up fine. In my opinion, GHG has the only lifelike widegon on the market. From my experiences and what i have read on other forums, it seems like they have good and bad batches. I think sometimes the paint holds up fine other times it's chipping after the 1st or 2nd hunt. I will give GHG that their decoys look great, but for how long? They're also heavy as rocks. My advise would be to go with G&H. I have 3 doz. of they're bluebills that are 4 yrs. old and you would never know it. I have never put any clear coats on them because they don't chip...period and they're alot lighter than GHG. Yeah, they're more expensive, but they hold up and the bluebills are also 2"-3" bigger than GHG's. FYI if you go with the Herters, don't get the regular foam. Cousin got a doz. bills for Christmas this year and they're already chipping. Spend the extra $ and get the burlapped ones if you want Herters.
DUCKCUTR
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting