Seaduck dog attack by Shark/Pinniped/Orca

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Seaduck dog attack by Shark/Pinniped/Orca

Postby idahojoe » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm

I am discussing Sea Duck hunting with some chronies who have said "oh, dont let your dog do retreives in Willapa or up on Puget in the Winter time.

They claim that some folks hunting dogs have been Ragdolled and eaten by large seagoing preadators.

Naturally, I want to hunt Seaducks in my new boat, but I don't want to have some encounter between my dog and one of the creatures of the deep.

Is there anyone on here that has good first hand (or nearly first hand) knowledge of if this is an issue or not?

I am skeptical that hunting dogs get bit or killed by Sealions, heck, i have had my dog, and My buddy Zach's dog do retreives amidst throngs of Sea Lions without incident.

Have I just been lucky? Or is this warning from my chronies a bunch of duckwash?
idahojoe
Newb

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:18 pm

You might try PM ing PITBOSS. I havn't seen him around here much lately though.

He guides sea duck hunts somewhere in the NE. He might know.

That would be aweful though.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby easternshorehunter » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:54 am

pitboss is on the chesapeake bay...a little to far down for sea lions. i saw somewhere a guy would shot sea lions with a rifle and his dog would go retrieve them but i forget if it had anything about his dogs being attacked
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 am

Easternshore, I recall reading a thread on the Fuge about that guy I think he was from Iceland or Greenland or something.I have only been over to the coast 1 time and that was in the south so I can be of no help sorry.I have heard a lot of guys say the sea lions just like to play with teh pooches and what not pull em under and yadda yadda but I wouldn't elt my pooch be "played" with by a sea lion.
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby idahojoe » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Maybe the dog was retrieving "small" seals. The sealions here if it is a bull can weigh up to 1400lbs.
idahojoe
Newb

Postby Dogman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:03 pm

While not a common occurence,seals have been know to drown a dog.
Apparently male seals can be very territorial and may see a dog as a threat or intruder.
Seals will fight for mates or territory and sometimes even die from injuries from those fights.Anyone remember Andre?Andre was a Harbor seal that lived in Maine with a man that rescued him as a pup,in winter he stayed at the New England Aquarium and would swim home in spring.Well one spring he never made it back home,he got into a fight with a younger stronger seal and succumbed to his wounds.They found him washed up on the rocks.
I avoid using a dog around areas where there are seals.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lundman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:46 pm

I have hunted sea ducks on the coast of Maine my entire life with dogs and have not had any problems with seals yet. But again these are seals not sea lions. I do have to agree with dogman... the seals can be very territorial and agressive at times. As a commercial diver at one time,most of my experinences with these critters was mostly in the spring time during the mating season, when agression was high. But anyway I think my CHESSIE is just bull- headed enough to get the best of them.
"Keep your head down and your eyes to the sky"
Lundman
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:11 am

i have heard of dogs being killed/eaten by killer whales in the puget sound area while making retrieves.

where i hunt it isn't unusual to see large sea lions in the area. while never hearing about any attacks locally, i usually opt to keep my dog out of the water when they are around.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby cootkilla » Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 pm

"Maybe the dog was retrieving "small" seals. The sealions here if it is a bull can weigh up to 1400lbs"?
IdahoJoe, I did not know we had sealions in Idaho.. WOW.. :toofunny: Just kidding. Yea the guy on the fuge was shooting seals. He would shoot them and his dog does retreive them. He has pictures of his dog bringing them back to him. I don't believe they would do real well with a sealion but heck you never know... I have not heard about sharks or sealions going after dogs but I have heard and seen what a gator does to a dog... :thumbsdown:

Cootkilla
cootkilla
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu May 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Seals could really hurt a dog i bet. In san diego one time i had a fish on and a seal swallowed the fish so i hooked the seal. Finally it came off somehow and man that thing was powerful.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Diver Duck Hunting