question for red head hunters

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, LayedOut, Dep6, crewchief252

question for red head hunters

Postby cdm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:44 pm

after doing a search I have not found results.

question

I have found a spot where there are some redheads. I suspect these birds will only be there opening day as I suspect they will be shot out of the area. I have never hunted redheads before and am looking forward to getting my first one. My question is this;

Is it necessary to have redhead decoys to decoy redheads? I have noticed that when I am set up for divers that the puddle ducks are not that willing to land with my decoys even though they (puddle ducks) are present. I have also noticed that divers tend to not care what kind of decoys they are going into.

I have read some articles that say redheads tend to be similar in behavior to canvasbacks. I have very limited experience with cans and have only killed a few that happen to by cruising by.

How do redheads react with decoys?
Does anyone think that I will have better success with redhead decoys?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on redhead decoys when I only get 1 opportunity to target them per year, though I am not opposed to repainting a few of my old deeks if that will do the job.
cdm
Banned

Re: question for red head hunters

Postby kdanford » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

We shoot Redheads down on the coast and they dont seem to have a problem coming into to any spread. Alot of people down here use just pintail decoys and still shoot their limit of redheads. I added a couple of dozen redhead decoys just for the fact that I like the idea of having them, but we have them all season long. Hope this helps.
kdanford
hunter

Postby cdm » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:15 pm

thanks.

If anyone else has any input it will be appreciated too!
cdm
Banned

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:03 pm

i agree with kdanford , we do mostly diver huntin here and we use can decoys along with bluebill , but i dont think that u would have to have diver dekes but i personaly think it would better your chances.Anything with alot of white will work. Also if your seein these redhead now at this time of the year im not 100% sure they will stay till november or october when it cools down.I may be wrong and they could but i think they will move out.i would just keep a good watch on um and it they stay think set your spread out how they are naturally and set up right where they are and you should do fine.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby cdm » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:59 pm

thanks. I will probably try it without buying new decoys. maybe take a few blue bill deeks and see what happens.

Thank you for the input.
cdm
Banned

Postby neapew » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm

We shot straight redheads here in Maintoba,and its hard to get good redhead decoys .We have to order them our local sports stores dont carry them,so i just paint other decoys or use bluebills or cans.They work just the same.
neapew
hunter

Postby shane019 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 am

I am also from manitoba and all I have ever used is my mallard decoys. Just recently bought some cans but haven't tried them yet.
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby justasign » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:25 pm

I would maybe try riging up a jerk string. I hunt divers up in Minnesota and those birds love that thing. Good luck and let us know if ya get one of them red heads!
justasign
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 am

I have killed Redheads on salt water over blackduck decoys. I found that they tended to bunch up over the decoys and you have to be carefull not to shoot too many. Two guys in my club once opened up on what they thought were bluebills, we called them broadbill, that came in with the sun behind them. They ended up with more then a limit. I would think that bluebill decoys would be as good as anything. I am going to try some layout shooting on the Finger Lakes in NY this year, last year there were a lot of redheads. I will let you know how we make out. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm

I used a mix of ringnecks, bluebills, mallards, GW teal, BW teal, and pintail and had redhead landing in the deeks.

Here's a portion of the spread on 1 of the hunts. We hunted this same point probably 4 or 5 times and shot our 2 redhead/person every trip easily.
And here's a hen that we sat and watched for about 10 minutes before she flew off.
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s40 ... G_1178.jpg
And the next couple are all "results"
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 am

this past year there was a huge number of redheads in our area and we can only shoot 2 a day. of all the birds, they decoyed the easiest. our setup was 2 dozen mallards and a dozen teal. we had flocks all day land in them. i ended up painting a dozen of my hotbuys into redheads. it's easy and they look really good. may want to look into it.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 pm

We killed a lot of reheads this past season as well. 2 bands :biggrin: It seems like we were gaurenteed a few every hunt
duckman27
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting