Puddler/ Diver switch

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Puddler/ Diver switch

Postby VTduckman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:06 pm

i hunt puddle ducks in vermont near a lake with divers.i've never hunted them but what do i need to do to hunt them effectivley. i have 1 dozen teal decoys, 1 dozen mallard decoys, one dozen wood duck decoys, a 13 ft aluminum boat/blind, the "wench" duck call, a mojo, and other puddler stuff. do i need diff. equipment/ diver decoys and what do i do to get them?
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:41 pm

VT with what you have I'm sure you could sratch a few out if you know the birds and be where they want to be.You can shoot divers over nothing but puddlers decoys and vice-versa but what fun is that?Get yourself some black and whites and learn the birds.Soon enough you'll be hooked and buying a few hundred black and whites, a layout boat, and a tender.Good luck
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:37 pm

What kind of divers do you see? How big of water are you talking here? Champlain or a smaller lake or pond?
Mike M.
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:06 pm

:thumbsup: yah what Mike said, we need more details
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:24 pm

not sure about the divers.all i know is there are mergansers and mallards on the lake.i think someone said there were goldneye's but not sur. and yess its on champlain in the souther part near vergennes/addison
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Goldeneyes, lesser and greater scaup, and buffleheads thats what we got for divers mostly.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby 870 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:55 pm

What ISD said is true as well, you can shoot divers over puddlers. I’d leave the woody’s to home and use your mallards and teal. This summer start buying some broadbill decoys and start to add them to your spread. Over time you can replace the puddlers with them. I all ways keep some Black duck decoys in the boat, having some puddlers with you never hurts. Broadbills have been the dominant diver decoy for years, you can’t go wrong with them. I like white on the water for divers pretty much any diver will decoy to BB decoys. Whistlers as you probably know won’t decoy as well, unless you have some Whistler decoys out.

As you know, all ducks have a place where they roost and a place where they feed. Scout and find those places, when you do your half way home. I try to hunt the feeds. I hunt out of layouts and boat blinds. I have also crushed them on their feeds from shore blinds. If you can’t get to their feeds try to find a point in between and set up there.

Now IMO your 13ft boat is a little small for big water. I’ve seen your lake and that’s big water. Your boat would be great hunting from shore, but IMO that’s it. Please don’t get mad, I just don’t want to hear of you getting your butt in trouble next year.

To hunt big water write it take money. Yes you can hunt big water from shore and have a blast doing it. Now some will argue this, but I believe to hunt big water you need a big boat, big motor and a big spread as well as all the safety equipment. Most of the time when you hear of a duck hunter dieing it’s not because he’s been shot, but because he drowned.

Please keep in mind I’m not trying to talk you out of hunting big water, man I want to see you hunting it. Keep this in mind, to hunt big water think big and think safety :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:30 pm

870 is right safety is a real concern on big water.I have been known to do some not so smart things but as long as you are confident (not arrogant) and respect the body of water you are on and know what it can do then you will be okay.I have hunted canoes on Lake Erie, even to an island.Foolish maybe a little but remember your life is not worth a duck

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:48 pm

thanks for the info, and to be truthfull i dont like rough water, i've had some bad experinces fishing on ontario. i would probably hunt near shore anyways to. also i do think i need a bigger motor, mabey a 9.9?sadly, a bigger boat is out of the question, i am only 14 and don't have that kind of income, but 3-4 dozen decoys i can do.mixed with my mallards it seems like i would be all set.If im using a J style decoy setup, should the curve be closer to shore and they fly twords it from the long part, and if so should the mallards and teal be down near the shore/curve?
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm

I definitly wouldn't want to take an underpowered boat out there, if the little jon is all you got obviously you are going to have to pass on certain days, no biggy deal with what you got.J's work great on open water for puddlers and divers, most often divers will want to fly up lines to the head of the spread, that is typically where you want to be, anytime I use puddlers for a shore spread I just keep them in close and string the divers out.Play around see what works for you, learn the birds and you'll be on your way to shooting divers and won't miss the puddlers :thumbsup:

ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:40 pm

ISD that sounds great to me :salude:
State Moderator

Return to Diver Duck Hunting