wear while layout hunting?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

wear while layout hunting?

Postby lawnboy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:32 pm

What do you guys find as to being the best thing to wear while layout hunting? Most of the time, I have on my waders and a life jacket that I put a gray sweat jacket over but I was wondering if I am missing something?
lawnboy
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 pm

All depends on the weather, either way the least amount of clothes possible easier to move and shoulder the gun, sometimes were the grey Columbia rain jackets or whatever we go on, I don't really think it matters to the birds.I don't wear a PFD though
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:07 pm

prefer to wear neoprene waders just so my butt and back stays dry....as for colr, I try to stay with a drab olive coat.......but I think any color or camo would be fine as long as you stay still.......I have read numerous times that matching the greys of the boat is most efective....as a matter of fact, MLB sells the Columbia suits.......I have never been able to find a gray rainsuit locally
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lawnboy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:51 pm

One guy that I worked with like to use the gray one-piece plastic paint suits. Or to better explain it, they use them for hazardous cleanup work. Problem is that they do not make them big enough for my fat butt.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:10 pm

If a diver notices your clothing color then you either missed him with your 3 shots or he's dead and at that point dosen't care anymore. :yes:
I wear my normal camo (wetlands advantage) gear.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:32 pm

I have a grey hazmat suit they gave me when I took a class. Never thought of using it for that though. Lawnboy, my suit is a like a 2 or 3 XL how big do you need?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:45 pm

Waterfowler I’m the standard 3xl duck hunter. :thumbsup:

I never thought much of the color but one of the guys that I hunt with wears the marsh camo and shoots an lot of ducks along with myself but to tell you the truth he was the one that pointed it out that he is in the boat longer then I (I use a gray sweat jacket) and thought that it was the color that was making the time difference.

I guess I go about it like deer hunting. Two guys can go out and shot a deer but one guy is decked out in all camo and the other guy has none. A lot of it comes down to movement but the guy that has full camo may have a slight advantage over the other guy who has none. Then it brings this whole topic down to one of the golden rules of blending into the environment that you are hunting.
lawnboy
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting