Hooded Merganser

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Hooded Merganser

Postby Coleman24 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:07 am

I would without a doubt get one mounted, still after my first merganser..
Coleman24
hunter

Postby chickwithagun » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 am

The one and only I have ever shot ended up on the wall. The taxidermist did a pretty crappy job though, they couldnt figure out how to get the hood all the way up and it looked awkward in general :no:
chickwithagun
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:11 pm

chickwithagun wrote:The one and only I have ever shot ended up on the wall. The taxidermist did a pretty crappy job though, they couldnt figure out how to get the hood all the way up and it looked awkward in general :no:

Got to mount your own. :wink:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby dbohunts » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 am

Anybody wants a guranteed hoody hunt, come to NC. The things are like mosquitos, can't get rid of them this year. That is the one thing we are guranteed to see every hunt.
dbohunts
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Same here in FL, I can put you on some hoods LOL shot me two this morning. Now if only the real ducks would come in so easy...
Attachments
IMG_0345.JPG
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Kinda off topic but why do diver ducks always look like there just nasty. Like oily. Is it because the oil they use for going under water? But when you first shoot one they look fine but it's once it dries
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Catfish_Hunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:11 pm

shootable Goose wrote:Kinda off topic but why do diver ducks always look like there just nasty. Like oily. Is it because the oil they use for going under water? But when you first shoot one they look fine but it's once it dries

Those birds got a hose down right before the picture... I was rinsing the salt water out of my boat then decided to snap a pic. The birds looked great not oily at all they're just a bit wet. :beer:
Catfish_Hunter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh well I shot a common merganser and it was nasty! It dried up and got all weird and oily. Not like a normal mallard or gadwall
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:05 pm

I would absolutely mount a Hooded Merganser. I just shot my first common, and it was a mature drake. Beautiful bird...red bills and red feet. I can't wait to get it back!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby FZJ80 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 pm

A hooded Merganser is a pretty bird but they taste like low tide on a hot day.
FZJ80
Newb

Postby AFISHN » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Been hunting 40+ years and shot my first one last week.
My friend wanted to mount it
so I gave it to him.really beautiful bird
Tom

"when I'm not a huntin',I'm AFISHN"
AFISHN
hunter

Postby Got5dux » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:46 pm

I confess... Got one mounted a few years back. It does make an impressive mount! Dang things are like rats down on the coast of SC !
Got5dux
hunter

Postby Duckwise » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Shot a pair this season that are going on the Wall.
Duckwise
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 pm

we kill them here in western kentucky. and ive got one mounted that looks amazing. ive managed to kill 6-8 male hoodys but cant seem to kill a darn female to go with it. a male hoody merganser is a MUST for a waterfowlers wall.
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby PLP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:50 am

They taste fine to me...must be the way I cook em.I have a pair mounted.The drakes make very pretty mounts.congrats!
PLP
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

It's almost not a duck hunt if we don't shoot our limit of hooded mergansers where I hunt. I did get one mounted standing on a log with its hood up and it looks great. I don't eat them, but I give them to a friend who loves them. He soaks them in salt water for a while, then soaks them in beer. He loves them.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby AlabamaOutdoors » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Good for you man, we have them come in all the time with woodies especially with timber around, beautiful duck. Although I've never eaten any I'm sure you could cook it in gumbo, or some sort of low country boil. Another thing, they look great mounted, with some other duck on the same piece of driftwood.
Its really about just being out there......War Eagle!

Genesis 27:3|Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
AlabamaOutdoors
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm

IMG_20120204_172751-1.jpg

Sorry for the thread revive, but Im bored and scavenging some old ones :hi: . The hoodies are loaded in the marsh on the east coast where I live . I shot this one last year. Its unfortunate the limit is only two because there are hundreds in the area I hunt. As far as the mount it turns out nice and I think its a beautiful bird, very unique.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby kitasdad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Buddy shot this one last year here in WI. He's saving cash, then putting it on the wall.
kitasdad
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:12 am

the drake is a great looking bird , and we used to shoot them, when they had their own limit( merganswer daily limit used to be 5[ hooded 2]) , they they made them part of the regular bag limit, and they hardly get shot on purpose anymore.

once you have one mounted, you dont want to shoot one, if you can kill regular ducks instead.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13 am

Ill kill em still because Im probably one of the few people that will eat them. People claim all or most divers taste like garbage or low tide or some other ridiculous flavor, but I believe they are amateur cooks. Its extremely easy to ruin duck, even puddle ducks. Its all about how you prepare them. :hammer:
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:30 am

Dude Im like afraid to touch em when someone shoots one. I would never pay the $ to have a "crap" duck mounted. Get a real duck mounted.posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=169307#
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Dude Im like afraid to touch em when someone shoots one. I would never pay the $ to have a "crap" duck mounted. Get a real duck mounted.posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=169307#

With all due respect, you my friend are a Pansy if you can't even pick up a dead bird. And I can vouch for majority of diver hunters that these birds are awesome looking and are a blast to shoot. IMO they are much more attractive than Drake mallard. Who wouldn't want to mount a bird with a Mohawk?

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

Hah Ill pick em up, just don't like to, and definitely not a pansy. I will admit that I do like shooting drake mallards more than divers. It is nice to go out and shoot some though. Im kinda afraid of clowns, so that might be why I don't like them. Lets be honest though nothing sucks more than shooting a bunch of ducks out of that first flock and finding out their all mergansers.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:43 pm

I beg to differ. I take it you dont eat coots either. :yes:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Diver Duck Hunting